Re: create new email address in postfix

  • Aaron Wolfe
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
      On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 2:52 AM, dd1313 <vedanta982@...> wrote:

      > Hi GUys
      >
      > I am new to postfix, running unser ubuntu.I want to create a new email
      > address.
      > please help me do that

      This is covered in the documentation. Maybe you can quote the
      specific part you are having trouble with?

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
        Actually I am taking over a server with postfix already installed , So I am
        struggling to find my way
        please help
        Dev

        Aaron Wolfe wrote:

        > On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 2:52 AM, dd1313 <vedanta982@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Hi GUys
        >>
        >> I am new to postfix, running unser ubuntu.I want to create a new email
        >> address.
        >> please help me do that
        >>

        > This is covered in the documentation. Maybe you can quote the
        > specific part you are having trouble with?
        >

        >> Thanks
        >> Dev
        >> --

      • Patrick Ben Koetter
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
          * dd1313 <vedanta982@...>:

          > Actually I am taking over a server with postfix already installed , So I am
          > struggling to find my way
          > please help

          What do you already know about email in general?

          Do you need to create a new mail account or do you need to add another address
          for an existing account?

          p@rick

          > Dev
          >

          > Aaron Wolfe wrote:
          > >
          > > On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 2:52 AM, dd1313 <vedanta982@...> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Hi GUys
          > >>
          > >> I am new to postfix, running unser ubuntu.I want to create a new email
          > >> address.
          > >> please help me do that
          > >>

          > > This is covered in the documentation. Maybe you can quote the
          > > specific part you are having trouble with?
          > >

          > >> Thanks
          > >> Dev
          > >> --
          > >>

          > --

          justified.

          saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):
        • dd1313
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
            could you point me to that part of the docs that refer to that.Actually I
            know not what to do next.
            I have logged in as root on ubuntu, what is next please

            Thanks
            Dev

            Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

            > * dd1313 <vedanta982@...>:
            >>
            >> Actually I am taking over a server with postfix already installed , So I
            >> am
            >> struggling to find my way
            >> please help
            >
            > What do you already know about email in general?
            >
            > Do you need to create a new mail account or do you need to add another
            > address
            > for an existing account?
            >
            > p@rick
            >

            >> Dev
            >>

            >> Aaron Wolfe wrote:

            >> > This is covered in the documentation. Maybe you can quote the
            >> > specific part you are having trouble with?

            >> --
            >>

            > --
            > All technical questions asked privately will be automatically answered on
            > the
            > list and archived for public access unless privacy is explicitely required
            > and
            > justified.
            >
            > saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):
            > <http://postfix.state-of-mind.de/patrick.koetter/saslfinger/>

          • Stan Hoeppner
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
              dd1313 put forth on 1/31/2010 2:44 AM:

              http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/add-a-user-on-ubuntu-server/

              --
              Stan
            • dd1313
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
                Yes I have a domain and need another email address at that domain created.It
                was setup by a previous
                administrator, now a new staff has joined and we need another email address.
                for him

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
                  * dd1313 <vedanta982@...>:
                  > Yes I have a domain and need another email address at that domain created.It
                  > was setup by a previous administrator, now a new staff has joined and we
                  > need another email address. for him

                  As a quick help run this and follow the command to add a new user- and
                  mailaccount:

                  # adduser <username>

                  To add an alias name for an existing user read man aliases and edit
                  /etc/aliases. The run "newaliases" once you're done.

                  For long time success you probably need to learn more about Linux and Ubuntu.

                  p@rick

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
                    ok so let me get this right,a user created on the server is also created a
                    email address
                    we we don't have to go to some email server program to create an email
                    address.Is that correct
                    So I am asking if I create a new user with password.I can go to email client
                    and set him up to receive emails

                    Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:

                    > As a quick help run this and follow the command to add a new user- and
                    > mailaccount:
                    >
                    > # adduser <username>
                    >
                    > To add an alias name for an existing user read man aliases and edit
                    > /etc/aliases. The run "newaliases" once you're done.
                    >
                    > For long time success you probably need to learn more about Linux and
                    > Ubuntu.
                    >
                    > p@rick

                  • Jerry
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
                      On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 01:42:48 -0800 (PST)
                      dd1313 <vedanta982@...> replied:

                      >Yes I have a domain and need another email address at that domain
                      >created.It was setup by a previous
                      >administrator, now a new staff has joined and we need another email
                      >address. for him

                      PLEASE stop 'top posting'. If you don't know what that means, try
                      Googling for it. You could start here:

                      http://lmgtfy.com/?q=top%2Bposting

                      Now, are you referring to adding a new user to your system?

                      --
                      Jerry
                      postfix.user@...

                      Science is to computer science as hydrodynamics is to plumbing.
                    • james naidoo
                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
                        No.I need to create a new email address for a new staff member.thats all

                        On Sun, Jan 31, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Jerry <postfix.user@...> wrote:
                        On Sun, 31 Jan 2010 01:42:48 -0800 (PST)
                        dd1313 <vedanta982@...> replied:

                        >Yes I have a domain and need another email address at that domain
                        >created.It was setup by a previous
                        >administrator, now a new staff has joined and we need another email
                        >address. for him

                        PLEASE stop 'top posting'. If you don't know what that means, try
                        Googling for it. You could start here:

                               http://lmgtfy.com/?q=top%2Bposting

                        Now, are you referring to adding a new user to your system?

                        --
                        Jerry
                        postfix.user@...

                        Science is to computer science as hydrodynamics is to plumbing.

                      • Gary V
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 31, 2010
                          > ok so let me get this right,a user created on the server is also created a
                          > email address

                          Maybe, maybe not.

                          > we we don't have to go to some email server program to create an email
                          > address.Is that correct

                          You might, or you might not, but since we know less about your system than you do, it would be difficult for us to tell.

                          > So I am asking if I create a new user with password.I can go to email client
                          > and set him up to receive emails
                          >

                          > Patrick Ben Koetter wrote:
                          >>

                          >> As a quick help run this and follow the command to add a new user- and
                          >> mailaccount:
                          >>
                          >> # adduser <username>
                          >>
                          >> To add an alias name for an existing user read man aliases and edit
                          >> /etc/aliases. The run "newaliases" once you're done.
                          >>
                          >> For long time success you probably need to learn more about Linux and
                          >> Ubuntu.
                          >>
                          >> p@rick

                          Why are we assuming the server is using Unix accounts? The system may be using virtual mailbox domains with some sort of Web interface such as ISPConfig or PostfixAdmin.

                          as root, run:
                          find / -name garyv -type d

                          where garyv is the name of a user you already know exists. Try a couple different names if it comes up blank.

                          In this example, if it comes up with:
                          /home/garyv

                          we might assume the system is using Unix accounts.

                          If it comes up with something like this (possibly in addition to /home) then we may assume it's using virtual domains:

                          /var/vmail/example.org/garyv

                          Of course, the output of 'postconf -n' would be useful.

                          Do you truly not have any idea if there is a web interface involved?
                          What is the output from this:

                          ls -l /var/www

                          Gary V
                          http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/196390709/direct/01/