smtp_sasl_auth_enable?

  • john
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
      I understand that setting "smtp_sasl_auth_enable" to yes, enables sasl
      authentication in the SMTP client, but does it make it mandatory.
      If I do not have an entry in the sasl password list for a particular
      smarthost/relay will I have a problem.
      TIA
      JLA
    • Patrick Ben Koetter
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2010
        * john <john@...>:
        > I understand that setting "smtp_sasl_auth_enable" to yes, enables
        > sasl authentication in the SMTP client, but does it make it
        > mandatory.

        It makes it mandatory only for hosts listed in a sasl password map.

        > If I do not have an entry in the sasl password list for a particular
        > smarthost/relay will I have a problem.

        If you want to relay and the host requires SMTP AUTH and you don't AUTH, then
        yes.

        If you just want to send messages to any other host, no.

        p@rick

        justified.

        saslfinger (debugging SMTP AUTH):