address_verify expire vs refresh times

  • Daniel L. Miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2010
      Me again. After having a problem with trying to connect to a
      greylist-protected mailing list, I've been reading & re-reading the docs
      on address_verify_negative_expire_time and
      address_verify_negative_refresh_time. I know these are different - but
      I'm afraid the difference as described in the docs is too subtle for me.

      Does "expire" mean it is removed from the cache, and "refresh" tests to
      see if it is still invalid - and such tests are repeated at "refresh"
      intervals until either a positive response is obtained or "expire" time
      is reached (and the inverse for the "positive" settings)? If this is
      the case, it might seem obvious to some - but I'd appreciate that little
      bit of explicit instruction.

      Of course if I'm totally wrong - go ahead and slap me with the correct info.

      --
      Daniel
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2010
        Daniel L. Miller:
        > Me again. After having a problem with trying to connect to a
        > greylist-protected mailing list, I've been reading & re-reading the docs
        > on address_verify_negative_expire_time and
        > address_verify_negative_refresh_time. I know these are different - but
        > I'm afraid the difference as described in the docs is too subtle for me.
        >
        > Does "expire" mean it is removed from the cache, and "refresh" tests to
        > see if it is still invalid - and such tests are repeated at "refresh"

        Yes. The idea of cache refresh is to update a cache entry BEFORE
        it expires, to avoid the "address verification in progress" delay.

        When the address verification cache receives a request for information,
        it returns non-expired information immediately, and performs the
        refresh for that cache entry in the background.