sender-dependent default_transport using FILTER

  • ram
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 30, 2009
      I need a sender dependent smtp service for my shared postfix servers
      This is similar to what was discussed in the thread a month ago
      http://www.mail-archive.com/postfix-users@.../msg18419.html

      This is because some of our clients require a dedicated outgoing IP ( for sender accreditation )

      I was thinking of a solution using a FILTER. But unfortunately FILTER does now work without a destination apparently

      I created a file called senderwise
      ==senderwise==
      netcore.co.in   FILTER  smtp1:

      ==main.cf==
      mynetworks=192.168.0.0/16,127.0.0.1
      smtpd_sender_restrictions=
              check_sender_access hash:/etc/postfix/senderwise,
              permit
      smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
              permit_mynetworks,
              reject
      relayhost=[192.168.2.105]

      ==master.cf==
      smtp1      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
              -o smtp_bind_address=192.168.50.11
              -o smtp_helo_name=client2.netcore.co.in

      ------------------

      But "FILTER  smtp1:"  is apparently no a valid format
      Is there a way out

      Thanks
      Ram

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 30, 2009
        ram:
        > I need a sender dependent smtp service for my shared postfix servers
        > This is similar to what was discussed in the thread a month ago
        > http://www.mail-archive.com/postfix-users@.../msg18419.html
        >

        > This is because some of our clients require a dedicated outgoing IP
        > ( for sender accreditation )
        >
        > I was thinking of a solution using a FILTER. But unfortunately FILTER
        > does now work without a destination apparently

        Maybe you can explain the problem, instead of the solution.

        Wietse
      • ram
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 30, 2009

          On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 20:43 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
          ram:
          > I need a sender dependent smtp service for my shared postfix servers
          > This is similar to what was discussed in the thread a month ago
          > http://www.mail-archive.com/postfix-users@.../msg18419.html
          >

          > This is because some of our clients require a dedicated outgoing IP
          > ( for sender accreditation )
          >
          > I was thinking of a solution using a FILTER. But unfortunately FILTER
          > does now work without a destination apparently

          Maybe you can explain the problem, instead of the solution.

          The requirement is that the outgoing mail for every sender-domain should be using different bind-ips dedicated to sender domain

          If I clone smtp service in master.cf to smtp1 with "-o smtp_bind_address=XX"
          and use a FILTER
          senderdomain1.com    FILTER smtp1

          that doesnt work.

          Thanks
          Ram

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 31, 2009
            ram:

            > On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 20:43 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
            >
            > > ram:
            > > > I need a sender dependent smtp service for my shared postfix servers
            > > > This is similar to what was discussed in the thread a month ago
            > > > http://www.mail-archive.com/postfix-users@.../msg18419.html
            > > >

            > > > This is because some of our clients require a dedicated outgoing IP
            > > > ( for sender accreditation )
            > > >
            > > > I was thinking of a solution using a FILTER. But unfortunately FILTER
            > > > does now work without a destination apparently
            > >
            > > Maybe you can explain the problem, instead of the solution.
            > >

            > The requirement is that the outgoing mail for every sender-domain should
            > be using different bind-ips dedicated to sender domain

            The supported solution is sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
            available with Postfix version 2.7. The FILTER primitive serves
            a different purpose: running mail through a fixed content filter.

            Wietse
          • ram
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
              On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 09:33 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
              > ram:
              > >
              > > On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 20:43 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
              > >
              > > > ram:

              > > > Maybe you can explain the problem, instead of the solution.
              > > >

              > > The requirement is that the outgoing mail for every sender-domain should
              > > be using different bind-ips dedicated to sender domain
              >
              > The supported solution is sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
              > available with Postfix version 2.7. The FILTER primitive serves
              > a different purpose: running mail through a fixed content filter.
              >
              > Wietse

              Thanks Wietse,

              Do you have any pre-release version. Its ok even if its not complete. I
              could possibly venture to finish it at least for my purpose.

              I *have to* anyway patch my server with this functionality.

              Postfix with some of my own trivial patches is already running fine in
              production on some of my servers (Many thanks to the extremely
              structured way the code is written .. admittedly it was not too much of
              an effort ) I guess I can risk running some more untested code.

              Regards
              Ram
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 1, 2010
                ram:
                > On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 09:33 -0500, Wietse Venema wrote:
                > > ram:

                > > > The requirement is that the outgoing mail for every sender-domain should
                > > > be using different bind-ips dedicated to sender domain
                > >
                > > The supported solution is sender_dependent_default_transport_maps,
                > > available with Postfix version 2.7. The FILTER primitive serves
                > > a different purpose: running mail through a fixed content filter.
                > >
                > > Wietse
                >

                > Thanks Wietse,
                >
                > Do you have any pre-release version. Its ok even if its not complete. I
                > could possibly venture to finish it at least for my purpose.

                That would be postfix-2.7-20091209 (the feature has been available
                since late November).

                > I *have to* anyway patch my server with this functionality.
                >
                > Postfix with some of my own trivial patches is already running fine in
                > production on some of my servers (Many thanks to the extremely
                > structured way the code is written .. admittedly it was not too much of
                > an effort ) I guess I can risk running some more untested code.

                The other option is to use sender_dependent_relayhost_maps, where
                each "relayhost" is a different Postfix instance that is bound to
                a different IP address. This uses a bit more CPU and disk I/O
                compared to the Postfix 2.7 solution, but it does not require
                patching.