Questions on virtual aliases and mailboxes

  • Brian Schang
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hello:

      I have had virtual aliases and mailboxes working well for years. I have
      always had a separated virtual_*_domains and virtual_*_maps file. Now I
      am combining them to make administration easier.

      For virtual aliases, I simply commented out the virtual_alias_domains
      directive in the main.cf file. Since it defaults to virtual_alias_maps,
      everything works. I tested by adding the following line:
      brian@... brian
      ... Everything works. :-)

      For virtual mailboxes, I did the same. It's my understanding that
      virtual_mailbox_domains defaults to virtual_mailbox_maps. However it
      didn't work as I expected. When I add the following line:
      brian@... brian_mail/somefile
      ... I get a domain not found error.
      However if I add another line:
      junk2.schang.net 1
      ... Everything works. :-)

      Actually the behavior for virtual mailboxes is what I expected -- the
      need to have the domain defined on the left-hand-side of the lookup. I
      was surprised that the virtual alias didn't require that.

      So that's my question: why does a virtual mailbox domain need to be
      explicitly defined on the LHS of virtual_mailbox_maps, while a virtual
      alias domain works without the domain defined on the LHS of
      virtual_alias_maps?

      Thank you.

      --
      Brian Schang
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
        On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 10:15:05AM -0500, Brian Schang wrote:

        > So that's my question: why does a virtual mailbox domain need to be
        > explicitly defined on the LHS of virtual_mailbox_maps, while a virtual
        > alias domain works without the domain defined on the LHS of
        > virtual_alias_maps?

        Virtual alias rewriting happens for all domains, not just virtual alias
        domains. However, if you want a virtual alias domain, you must list it
        in virtual_alias_domains (which defaults to $virtual_alias_maps).

        Not listing the domain means:

        - Postfix won't accept mail for the domain from untrusted clients
        - Postfix won't reject unlisted recipients in that domain.

      • Brian Schang
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 1, 2010
          Viktor:

          On 12/29/2009 11:47 AM, Victor Duchovni wrote:

          > Virtual alias rewriting happens for all domains, not just virtual
          > alias domains. However, if you want a virtual alias domain, you must
          > list it in virtual_alias_domains (which defaults to
          > $virtual_alias_maps).
          >
          > Not listing the domain means:
          >
          > - Postfix won't accept mail for the domain from untrusted clients -
          > - Postfix won't reject unlisted recipients in that domain.

          Thank you for the explanation. I had overlooked the fact that virtual
          alias rewriting happens for all domains. The behavior I saw makes
          perfect sense now.

          Thank you for taking the time to answer my question. I appreciate it.

          --
          Brian Schang