Re: OT: need some advice as to distro

  • Charles Marcus
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 1, 2009
      On 12/1/2009 10:08 AM, Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
      > <soapbox>
      > I personally use Gentoo for all my Linux needs.

      I wasn't going to say anything, but I'll add a 'me too' here.

      I've been using Gentoo only for our in house servers since 2005. They've
      all been through 2 major GCC version updates, and I've honestly never
      had a serious problem.

      A rolling release distro like Gentoo is really easy to keep completely
      up to date, and I never have to worry about being forced to use
      old/outdated software.

      > There are several reasons for this.
      > 1. It forces you to learn Linux. The handbook gives a great
      > walk-through of how to set it up.
      > 2. It is multi-platform; x86(_64), sparc(64), ppc(64), alpha, etc.
      > 3. It is a build from source distro, but you don't need to know how.
      > The Portage system takes care of individual packages and dependencies.
      > You can tune and rebuild the entire system, if desired.
      > 4. The base install is minimal; compile tools, python, perl and common
      > commands.
      > You get what you need, nothing more.
      > 5. There is a security team in place to monitor vulnerabilities.
      > 6. There is no "OS upgrade". Only package updates.
      > It will happily work forever updating single packages when *you* want.
      > There is still an easy way to update everything as well.
      > 7. There are stable, testing and experimental types of packages. All of
      > which are easily accessible.
      > 8. Tracking down dependencies is a non-issue.
      > </soapbox>
      >
      > I know other alternatives, such as FreeBSD, would also work well.
    • Christian Surchi
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 2, 2009
        Il giorno mar, 01/12/2009 alle 13.15 -0800, Joe ha scritto:
        > > Why not just use Debian
        > > then, instead of Ubuntu?
        > Because enterprise support is available for ubuntu, and also, if someone
        > is familiar with ubuntu desktop already it makes sense for them to
        > deploy ubuntu server if servers are needed.

        Enterprise support for postfix? :)

        The desktop approach could be true for *Suse distro, but I can't see any
        point in having a desktop approach to a postfix deployment. Or does
        Ubuntu server is a desktop only distro now? :o

        just my 2 cents...
        Christian

        --
        Christian Surchi - christian _at_ truelite.it
        Truelite srl - Via Monferrato 6 - 50142 Firenze