Re: OT: need some advice as to distro

  • Terry Carmen
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 1, 2009
      > Centos 5.4 - while it looks like a good choice, there has been some
      > political infighting going on recently which makes us a little nervous
      > about its future. In addition we have found that a number of the core
      > packages we wish to use are out of date (postfix, dovecot, amavisd-new
      > among them).

      Centos is not likely to vanish, since it's just a re-branded version of Redhat
      Enterprise Linux.

      Since you already know Fedora, I'd suggest doing a base Centos install (no
      apps), then using the "cheat sheet" here:
      http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/Amavisd.

      It sets up an additional repository that uses much more up-to-date apps than
      are in the Centos repository.

      Another option would be to install from source, which is actually not
      difficult at all, and is very similar to what you probably did 20 years ago,
      only easier. (the build scripts are much more polished than in years past).

      Terry
    • Christian Surchi
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 2, 2009
        Il giorno mar, 01/12/2009 alle 13.15 -0800, Joe ha scritto:
        > > Why not just use Debian
        > > then, instead of Ubuntu?
        > Because enterprise support is available for ubuntu, and also, if someone
        > is familiar with ubuntu desktop already it makes sense for them to
        > deploy ubuntu server if servers are needed.

        Enterprise support for postfix? :)

        The desktop approach could be true for *Suse distro, but I can't see any
        point in having a desktop approach to a postfix deployment. Or does
        Ubuntu server is a desktop only distro now? :o

        just my 2 cents...
        Christian

        --
        Christian Surchi - christian _at_ truelite.it
        Truelite srl - Via Monferrato 6 - 50142 Firenze