Re: OT: need some advice as to distro

  • Brian Mathis
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 1, 2009
      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 9:39 AM, John Peach <postfix@...> wrote:
      > On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:30:36 +0200
      > Eero Volotinen <eero.volotinen@...> wrote:
      >> > Centos 5.4 - while it looks like a good choice, there has been some
      >> > political infighting going on recently which makes us a little
      >> > nervous about its future. In addition we have found that a number
      >> > of the core packages we wish to use are out of date (postfix,
      >> > dovecot, amavisd-new among them).
      >>
      >> Centos 5.x is my selection. You can also use packages from epel and
      >> dag's rpm repositories.
      >
      > It suffers from Red Hat's liking for sendmail. The postfix package is
      > aeons old. I would go with Ubuntu (probably 9.04 which is a long-term
      > support version).
      >
      > --
      > John

      The age of a package only matters if you absolutely need a feature
      that's included in the newer version. All of the security fix are
      backported. If you do really need the newer versions, you can get
      RPMs from third party repositories.
    • Christian Surchi
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 2, 2009
        Il giorno mar, 01/12/2009 alle 13.15 -0800, Joe ha scritto:
        > > Why not just use Debian
        > > then, instead of Ubuntu?
        > Because enterprise support is available for ubuntu, and also, if someone
        > is familiar with ubuntu desktop already it makes sense for them to
        > deploy ubuntu server if servers are needed.

        Enterprise support for postfix? :)

        The desktop approach could be true for *Suse distro, but I can't see any
        point in having a desktop approach to a postfix deployment. Or does
        Ubuntu server is a desktop only distro now? :o

        just my 2 cents...
        Christian

        --
        Christian Surchi - christian _at_ truelite.it
        Truelite srl - Via Monferrato 6 - 50142 Firenze