OT: need some advice as to distro

  • John
    Message 1 of 35 , Dec 1, 2009
      Sorry to bring this here, but we are having trouble setting up a
      Postfix/dovecot mail system.

      Background:
      We are a bunch of retirees, so cost is a factor in any decision. We all
      have IT experience, some of going back decades, however the world of
      Linux and its software is new to us all. We used the cook book approach
      to setting up our first mail system. It uses Postfix/Dovecot on top of
      Fedora 8 and so far it works like a charm. While the cook-book approach
      got up and running fairly easily I think we missed out on the learning
      side of things.

      However, there is a growing concern about the basic OS slipping too far
      behind on important changes, the same goes for some of the packages we
      are planning on using, so we have started looking at alternatives.

      Fedora - a little too dynamic for use as a server. This is to be
      expected as it is a development system which I don't think is aimed at a
      production like environment, plus the latest release seems very desktop
      oriented.
      Centos 5.4 - while it looks like a good choice, there has been some
      political infighting going on recently which makes us a little nervous
      about its future. In addition we have found that a number of the core
      packages we wish to use are out of date (postfix, dovecot, amavisd-new
      among them).
      Ubuntu 9.10 Server edition - I am not sure what to say here. While at
      first glance it seems to be an ideal solution a, free server
      distribution with a Canonical backing it up. However, the setup of some
      packages seems to us "odd", overly complicated and arbitrary.
      openSUSE - not tied, but some concerns over the Novel /Microsoft deal.

      Thanks in advance
      John A
    • Christian Surchi
      Message 35 of 35 , Dec 2, 2009
        Il giorno mar, 01/12/2009 alle 13.15 -0800, Joe ha scritto:
        > > Why not just use Debian
        > > then, instead of Ubuntu?
        > Because enterprise support is available for ubuntu, and also, if someone
        > is familiar with ubuntu desktop already it makes sense for them to
        > deploy ubuntu server if servers are needed.

        Enterprise support for postfix? :)

        The desktop approach could be true for *Suse distro, but I can't see any
        point in having a desktop approach to a postfix deployment. Or does
        Ubuntu server is a desktop only distro now? :o

        just my 2 cents...
        Christian

        --
        Christian Surchi - christian _at_ truelite.it
        Truelite srl - Via Monferrato 6 - 50142 Firenze