Re: Do i need any secure channel, if i'm using postfix to receive email only?

  • Eero Volotinen
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
      Quoting "Arora, Sumit" <sumit.arora@...>:

      > Hi folks,
      >
      > I'm using postfix for just receiving emails from network, do I need
      > to enable TLS or anything else for building up a secure channel.
      > I guess all this is required in case of my email clients connecting
      > to my email server.

      Yes, enable TLS and only allow encrypted smtp traffic or use pgp (or
      both for paranoid security)

      --
      Eero
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
        On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 12:37:47PM +0000, Arora, Sumit wrote:

        > I'm using postfix for just receiving emails from network, do I need
        > to enable TLS or anything else for building up a secure channel.
        > I guess all this is required in case of my email clients connecting
        > to my email server.

        Your question is far too vague to answer. You need to pose it in
        the context of one or more explicit use-cases, described with enough
        specificity so that the risk model is clear.

        There is no such thing as "secure", there is only "mitigates a list of
        threats considered in the design". What threats do you want to mitigate
        and in what cases?