Do i need any secure channel, if i'm using postfix to receive email only?

  • Arora, Sumit
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009

      Hi folks,

      I’m using postfix for just receiving emails from network, do I need to enable TLS or anything else for building up a secure channel.

      I guess all this is required in case of my email clients connecting to my email server.

      Thanks & Regards,
      Sumit Arora

      IPG R&D Hub, Gurgaon
      Hewlett-Packard India Software Operation Pvt. Ltd.

      Work: x19013

      Cell:  +91-9958181104

    • Eero Volotinen
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
        Quoting "Arora, Sumit" <sumit.arora@...>:

        > Hi folks,
        >
        > I'm using postfix for just receiving emails from network, do I need
        > to enable TLS or anything else for building up a secure channel.
        > I guess all this is required in case of my email clients connecting
        > to my email server.

        Yes, enable TLS and only allow encrypted smtp traffic or use pgp (or
        both for paranoid security)

        --
        Eero
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2009
          On Tue, Dec 01, 2009 at 12:37:47PM +0000, Arora, Sumit wrote:

          > I'm using postfix for just receiving emails from network, do I need
          > to enable TLS or anything else for building up a secure channel.
          > I guess all this is required in case of my email clients connecting
          > to my email server.

          Your question is far too vague to answer. You need to pose it in
          the context of one or more explicit use-cases, described with enough
          specificity so that the risk model is clear.

          There is no such thing as "secure", there is only "mitigates a list of
          threats considered in the design". What threats do you want to mitigate
          and in what cases?