Re: Postfix Deployment

    Message 1 of 12 , Nov 28, 2009
      Stan Hoeppner:
      > Wietse Venema put forth on 11/27/2009 5:17 PM:
      > > Stan Hoeppner:
      > >> I'm running my Postfix firewall behind NAT/PAT and the setup didn't
      > >> require any non-default Postfix settings to make it work. I port
      > >> forwarded TCP 25 from my router to my internal Postfix host IP and all
      > >> worked without issue. What settings are you referring to?
      > >
      > > proxy_interfaces=external-ip-address, which is needed to avoid
      > > "mail loops to myself" errors when you provide backup MX service,
      > > and the primary is for some reason not available.
      >
      > Thanks for the heads up Wietse. What is the effect of proxy_interfaces
      > on a NAT'd Postfix box if I'm not running a/as backup MX? (I'm not) Any?

      All features that use $inet_interfaces to decide if an address
      is local will also use $proxy_interfaces for that same purpose.

      This includes MX elimination when sending mail via SMTP,
      canonical/virtual/etc mapping with user@[ipaddres], accepting
      user@[ipaddres] via SMTP, and more.

      I was referring to FALSE alarms with BACKUP mx hosts that resolve
      to $proxy_interfaces.

      I was not referring to TRUE alarms when you tell Postfix to deliver
      a domain not in mydestination etc. with a PRIMARY mx that resolves
      to a local IP addres.