Re: Redirect outbound mail based on from address

    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
      On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 11:33:56PM +1100, Barney Barumba wrote:

      > I'm trying to redirect outbound mail based on the from address. I've seen a
      > few things that say sender based routing is not supported, but I'm not sure if
      > that is what I need or not.

      Postfix has:

      http://www.postfix.org/SOHO_README.html#client_sasl_sender

      which selects a per-sender next-hop address, when the recipient is remote
      (delivered via SMTP).

      Choosing per-sender transports has no reasonable semantics when some
      recipients are local and some remote. This feature is not offered.

      > The problem is that I want to use my local mail client to send mail from my
      > work address, which is running MS Exchange. I don't want to simply replace the
      > from address on the outbound email - I want to actually have the mail sent
      > from the Exchange server.
      >
      > The only external access to this server is via WebDav, so I've written a
      > client that accepts an email message from its standard input, logs on to the
      > server, and sends the message. All I need to do now is configure my postfix
      > server to pipe selected messages to this client (or better still, to maildrop
      > which can also store a local copy).

      If you turn your submission script into a local SMTP service, or deploy
      a Postfix smtpd(8) on an alternate port with content_filter set to your
      script, you can cause mail to remote recipients and the appropriate sender
      address to flow through your script.