Re: Postfix blocks Mailman if too many invalid addresses are on the list

    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      On 11/2/2009 8:18 AM, Christian Recktenwald wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > I have postfix, mailman and an imap service running on one mail server.
      >
      > Problem is, every couple of months several dozens of list
      > member mail boxes expire. If in this case mailman tries to
      > deliver a posting it gets many errors concerning unknown users
      > *and* terminates the smtp session due too many failures.
      >
      > This causes trouble because mail addresses listed on the list
      > after the smtp connection hit the limit of acceptable invalid
      > rcpts per connection will never get their mail.
      >
      > So I need a way to just switch this session terminating off
      > or to set the limit of acceptable invalid recipients to
      > a higher value.
      >
      > (Sure one could think of some better work flow
      > but the guys running the mailing list and user base
      > have their own opinion on what's to be changed here.)
      >
      > TIA, Chris

      Arrange for mailman to use a port other than 25 for submitting
      mail, and increase the error count on that port in postfix's
      master.cf

      An example using the submission port 587

      # master.cf
      submission inet n - n - - smtpd
      -o syslog_name=postfix-submission
      -o smtpd_hard_error_limit=1000
      -o smtpd_soft_error_limit=1000

      -- Noel Jones
    • Christian Recktenwald
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
        On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 08:58:46AM -0600, Noel Jones wrote:
        > An example using the submission port 587
        >
        > # master.cf
        > submission inet n - n - - smtpd
        > -o syslog_name=postfix-submission
        > -o smtpd_hard_error_limit=1000