Postfix blocks Mailman if too many invalid addresses are on the list

  • Christian Recktenwald
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hi,

      I have postfix, mailman and an imap service running on one mail server.

      Problem is, every couple of months several dozens of list
      member mail boxes expire. If in this case mailman tries to
      deliver a posting it gets many errors concerning unknown users
      *and* terminates the smtp session due too many failures.

      This causes trouble because mail addresses listed on the list
      after the smtp connection hit the limit of acceptable invalid
      rcpts per connection will never get their mail.

      So I need a way to just switch this session terminating off
      or to set the limit of acceptable invalid recipients to
      a higher value.

      (Sure one could think of some better work flow
      but the guys running the mailing list and user base
      have their own opinion on what's to be changed here.)

      TIA, Chris

      --
      Christian Recktenwald
      postfix-users-dist@...
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
        On 11/2/2009 8:18 AM, Christian Recktenwald wrote:
        > Hi,
        >
        > I have postfix, mailman and an imap service running on one mail server.
        >
        > Problem is, every couple of months several dozens of list
        > member mail boxes expire. If in this case mailman tries to
        > deliver a posting it gets many errors concerning unknown users
        > *and* terminates the smtp session due too many failures.
        >
        > This causes trouble because mail addresses listed on the list
        > after the smtp connection hit the limit of acceptable invalid
        > rcpts per connection will never get their mail.
        >
        > So I need a way to just switch this session terminating off
        > or to set the limit of acceptable invalid recipients to
        > a higher value.
        >
        > (Sure one could think of some better work flow
        > but the guys running the mailing list and user base
        > have their own opinion on what's to be changed here.)
        >
        > TIA, Chris

        Arrange for mailman to use a port other than 25 for submitting
        mail, and increase the error count on that port in postfix's
        master.cf

        An example using the submission port 587

        # master.cf
        submission inet n - n - - smtpd
        -o syslog_name=postfix-submission
        -o smtpd_hard_error_limit=1000
        -o smtpd_soft_error_limit=1000

        -- Noel Jones
      • Christian Recktenwald
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 2, 2009
          On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 08:58:46AM -0600, Noel Jones wrote:
          > An example using the submission port 587
          >
          > # master.cf
          > submission inet n - n - - smtpd
          > -o syslog_name=postfix-submission
          > -o smtpd_hard_error_limit=1000