Redirect outbound mail based on from address

  • Barney Barumba
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hi,

      I'm trying to redirect outbound mail based on the from address. I've seen a
      few things that say sender based routing is not supported, but I'm not sure if
      that is what I need or not.

      The problem is that I want to use my local mail client to send mail from my
      work address, which is running MS Exchange. I don't want to simply replace the
      from address on the outbound email - I want to actually have the mail sent
      from the Exchange server.

      The only external access to this server is via WebDav, so I've written a
      client that accepts an email message from its standard input, logs on to the
      server, and sends the message. All I need to do now is configure my postfix
      server to pipe selected messages to this client (or better still, to maildrop
      which can also store a local copy).

      Ideally, all I'd like to do is select my work address as the from address in
      my original message and have the server do the rest. Is this possible? Or is
      there any other way of routing selected outbound messages to a local program?

      Thanks,

      Barney
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 2, 2009
        On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 11:33:56PM +1100, Barney Barumba wrote:

        > I'm trying to redirect outbound mail based on the from address. I've seen a
        > few things that say sender based routing is not supported, but I'm not sure if
        > that is what I need or not.

        Postfix has:

        http://www.postfix.org/SOHO_README.html#client_sasl_sender

        which selects a per-sender next-hop address, when the recipient is remote
        (delivered via SMTP).

        Choosing per-sender transports has no reasonable semantics when some
        recipients are local and some remote. This feature is not offered.

        > The problem is that I want to use my local mail client to send mail from my
        > work address, which is running MS Exchange. I don't want to simply replace the
        > from address on the outbound email - I want to actually have the mail sent
        > from the Exchange server.
        >
        > The only external access to this server is via WebDav, so I've written a
        > client that accepts an email message from its standard input, logs on to the
        > server, and sends the message. All I need to do now is configure my postfix
        > server to pipe selected messages to this client (or better still, to maildrop
        > which can also store a local copy).

        If you turn your submission script into a local SMTP service, or deploy
        a Postfix smtpd(8) on an alternate port with content_filter set to your
        script, you can cause mail to remote recipients and the appropriate sender
        address to flow through your script.