smtpd_recipient_restrictions evaluation question

  • Stan Hoeppner
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 31, 2009
      Simon Morvan put forth on 10/31/2009 12:30 PM:

      > And why shouldn't be able to use my own mail server behind my private
      > residential ADSL line ?

      You should be able to. Here's how to implement the outbound mail
      portion to prevent mass rejections:

      http://www.hardwarefreak.com/postfix-adsl-relay-config.txt

      --
      Stan
    • Simon Morvan
      Message 2 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
        Stan Hoeppner a écrit :
        > Simon Morvan put forth on 10/31/2009 12:30 PM:
        >

        >> And why shouldn't be able to use my own mail server behind my private
        >> residential ADSL line ?
        >>

        > You should be able to. Here's how to implement the outbound mail
        > portion to prevent mass rejections:
        >
        > http://www.hardwarefreak.com/postfix-adsl-relay-config.txt
        >
        > --
        > Stan

        That's prevent rejection but also prevent my ability to ensure my
        freedom to use the network :
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality

        That's will be my last message on-list for this topic but feel free to
        keep on discuss this off-list :)

        --
        Simon.
      • Stan Hoeppner
        Message 3 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
          Simon Morvan put forth on 11/1/2009 4:20 AM:

          > That's prevent rejection but also prevent my ability to ensure my
          > freedom to use the network :
          > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality
          >
          > That's will be my last message on-list for this topic but feel free to
          > keep on discuss this off-list :)

          Net Neutrality has nothing to do with SMTP receivers. It has everything
          to do with network carriers and QOS. You have no inherent right to send
          email to _my_ MX, nor anyone else's. Your rights end where mine begin.
          If I chose to drop your SMTP connections due to the rDNS name of your
          sending MTA, its status as being listed in the Spamhaus PBL, or any
          other reason, that's my right, and dropping you does not in any way
          infringe upon _your_ rights, because in this case, again, you have no
          rights.

          If, after reading this, you feel that receivers who reject mail sent
          directly from your residential IP are infringing upon your rights, then
          we can safely file your comments into the kook folder.

          --
          Stan
        • Daniel V. Reinhardt
          Message 4 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
            > Simon Morvan put forth on 11/1/2009 4:20 AM:
            >
            > > That's prevent rejection but also prevent my ability to ensure my
            > > freedom to use the network :
            > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_neutrality
            > >
            > > That's will be my last message on-list for this topic but feel free to
            > > keep on discuss this off-list :)
            >
            > Net Neutrality has nothing to do with SMTP receivers. It has everything
            > to do with network carriers and QOS. You have no inherent right to send
            > email to _my_ MX, nor anyone else's. Your rights end where mine begin.
            > If I chose to drop your SMTP connections due to the rDNS name of your
            > sending MTA, its status as being listed in the Spamhaus PBL, or any
            > other reason, that's my right, and dropping you does not in any way
            > infringe upon _your_ rights, because in this case, again, you have no
            > rights.
            >
            > If, after reading this, you feel that receivers who reject mail sent
            > directly from your residential IP are infringing upon your rights, then
            > we can safely file your comments into the kook folder.
            >
            > --
            > Stan

            Very well said Stan. Residential IP's are common to be malware infected with malware that sends itself out via its own SMTP program, and as such should be stopped.

            Thanks,
            Dan
          • Jerry
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
              On Sun, 01 Nov 2009 07:00:30 -0600
              Stan Hoeppner <stan@...> replied:

              [snip]

              >Net Neutrality has nothing to do with SMTP receivers. It has
              >everything to do with network carriers and QOS. You have no inherent
              >right to send email to _my_ MX, nor anyone else's. Your rights end
              >where mine begin.
              > If I chose to drop your SMTP connections due to the rDNS name of your
              >sending MTA, its status as being listed in the Spamhaus PBL, or any
              >other reason, that's my right, and dropping you does not in any way
              >infringe upon _your_ rights, because in this case, again, you have no
              >rights.
              >
              >If, after reading this, you feel that receivers who reject mail sent
              >directly from your residential IP are infringing upon your rights, then
              >we can safely file your comments into the kook folder.

              Better yet, stop sending them e-mail.

              --
              Jerry
              postfix.user@...

              Another megabytes the dust.
            • Simon Morvan
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
                Daniel V. Reinhardt a écrit :
> [...]
                And how am I supposed to send mail from my own mail server if I don't
                trust my ISP mail relay nor have $$$ to have a colo space and my own IP
                space ?

                And, Stan, you refuse mails from my ISP mail relay... (the second
                biggest in France...)

                --
                Simon
              • Daniel V. Reinhardt
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
                  > >> Simon Morvan put forth on 11/1/2009 4:20 AM:

                  > >> Net Neutrality has nothing to do with SMTP receivers. It has everything
                  > >> to do with network carriers and QOS. You have no inherent right to send
                  > >> email to _my_ MX, nor anyone else's. Your rights end where mine begin.
                  > >> If I chose to drop your SMTP connections due to the rDNS name of your
                  > >> sending MTA, its status as being listed in the Spamhaus PBL, or any
                  > >> other reason, that's my right, and dropping you does not in any way
                  > >> infringe upon _your_ rights, because in this case, again, you have no
                  > >> rights.
                  > >>
                  > >> If, after reading this, you feel that receivers who reject mail sent
                  > >> directly from your residential IP are infringing upon your rights, then
                  > >> we can safely file your comments into the kook folder.
                  > >>
                  > >> --
                  > >> Stan
                  > >>

                  > > Very well said Stan. Residential IP's are common to be malware infected with
                  > malware that sends itself out via its own SMTP program, and as such should be
                  > stopped.
                  > >
                  > > Thanks,
                  > > Dan
                  > >

                  > And how am I supposed to send mail from my own mail server if I don't
                  > trust my ISP mail relay nor have $$$ to have a colo space and my own IP
                  > space ?
                  >
                  > And, Stan, you refuse mails from my ISP mail relay... (the second
                  > biggest in France...)
                  >
                  > --
                  > Simon

                  Simple you get a business account, and have them edit your rDNS and other important records accordingly. Residential IP's shouldn't be allowed to send mail except from their own ISP Mail Server. If you don't trust your ISP, then its time to find another one.
                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
                    Simon Morvan a écrit :
                    > Le 30/10/2009 16:05, /dev/rob0 a écrit :
                    >>[snip]
                    >>>
                    >> Consider Zen here. It also incorporates the (not-quite-so) new PBL,
                    >> which has been very effective here.
                    >>

                    > The last time I tried it, Zen included too many legitimate users behind
                    > ADSL lines. The "Policy" behind PBL is a bit too restrictive. Maybe it
                    > changed, I'll give it another try.

                    AFAIK, the policy didn't change. but chances are that people who used to
                    send directly have moved to a relay model. The PBL is used in many
                    places. and some large sites use more restrictive lists anyway. so
                    insisting on sending directly only causes grief, and things are mostly
                    likely to "get worse".

                    I personally use dnswl.org. so users who get blocked by the PBL are
                    invited to submit their IP to dnswl.org.

                    >>> reject_rhsbl_sender dsn.rfc-ignorant.org,

                    you find PBL policy too restrictive, yet you use a non-spam related
                    list. anyway, your server your rules...

                    >> [snip]
                  • /dev/rob0
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
                      On Sunday 01 November 2009 12:24:54 mouss wrote:
                      > Simon Morvan a écrit :
                      > > Le 30/10/2009 16:05, /dev/rob0 a écrit :
                      > >>[snip]
                      > >>
                      > >> Consider Zen here. It also incorporates the (not-quite-so) new PBL,
                      > >> which has been very effective here.
                      > >
                      > > The last time I tried it, Zen included too many legitimate users behind
                      > > ADSL lines. The "Policy" behind PBL is a bit too restrictive. Maybe it
                      > > changed, I'll give it another try.
                      >
                      > AFAIK, the policy didn't change. but chances are that people who used to
                      > send directly have moved to a relay model. The PBL is used in many
                      > places. and some large sites use more restrictive lists anyway. so
                      > insisting on sending directly only causes grief, and things are mostly
                      > likely to "get worse".
                      >
                      > I personally use dnswl.org. so users who get blocked by the PBL are
                      > invited to submit their IP to dnswl.org.

                      A truly static IP address (with custom rDNS) on PBL can be removed by
                      the user; there is a web form with automated checks and a manual
                      review process. This typically shouldn't take more than a day or two.

                      If it's NOT static, why should it be whitelisted? When will it
                      change? Are checks done to ensure that it's still under control of
                      the dnswl.org. submitter?
                    • Sahil Tandon
                      Message 10 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
                        On Sun, 01 Nov 2009, Simon Morvan wrote:

                        [blah blah]

                        > And how am I supposed to send mail from my own mail server if I
                        > don't trust my ISP mail relay nor have $$$ to have a colo space and
                        > my own IP space ?
                        >
                        > And, Stan, you refuse mails from my ISP mail relay... (the second
                        > biggest in France...)

                        I thought you said your previous message was your last on this topic?
                        Please, let's close this thread.

                        --
                        Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                        Message 11 of 24 , Nov 1, 2009
                          /dev/rob0 a écrit :
                          > On Sunday 01 November 2009 12:24:54 mouss wrote:
                          >> Simon Morvan a écrit :

                          >>> The last time I tried it, Zen included too many legitimate users behind
                          >>> ADSL lines. The "Policy" behind PBL is a bit too restrictive. Maybe it
                          >>> changed, I'll give it another try.
                          >> AFAIK, the policy didn't change. but chances are that people who used to
                          >> send directly have moved to a relay model. The PBL is used in many
                          >> places. and some large sites use more restrictive lists anyway. so
                          >> insisting on sending directly only causes grief, and things are mostly
                          >> likely to "get worse".
                          >>
                          >> I personally use dnswl.org. so users who get blocked by the PBL are
                          >> invited to submit their IP to dnswl.org.
                          >
                          > A truly static IP address (with custom rDNS) on PBL can be removed by
                          > the user; there is a web form with automated checks and a manual
                          > review process. This typically shouldn't take more than a day or two.
                          >
                          > If it's NOT static, why should it be whitelisted? When will it
                          > change? Are checks done to ensure that it's still under control of
                          > the dnswl.org. submitter?

                          sorry, I was talking about static IPs. obviously, there is no point in
                          whitelisting a dynamic IP.