Re: Reverse DNS Rejection Problem

  • Ansgar Wiechers
    Message 1 of 30 , Oct 31, 2009
      On 2009-10-31 Noel Jones wrote:
      > On 10/31/2009 10:36 AM, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:
      >> There's also nothing wrong with a setup like this:
      >>
      >> 192.0.2.1 PTR uranus.example.com.
      >> 192.0.2.1 PTR www.example.com.
      >> 192.0.2.1 PTR ftp.example.com.
      >> 192.0.2.1 PTR blog.example.com.
      >> 192.0.2.1 PTR wiki.example.com.
      >>
      >> uranus.example.com. A 192.0.2.1
      >> www.example.com. A 192.0.2.1
      >> ftp.example.com. A 192.0.2.1
      >> blog.example.com. A 192.0.2.1
      >> wiki.example.com. A 192.0.2.1
      >>
      >> Except that b0rken software may choke on it. Duh.
      >
      > ... and DNS returns a pseudo-random response, so you can't control
      > which PTR gets returned first.
      >
      > ... and software that cares about the PTR and doesn't choke won't ever
      > look past the first pseudo-random response.

      You have a weird way of agreeing with me.

      > So you really don't gain anything other than getting to show off how
      > you can cram lots of unnecessary stuff into your DNS record.
      > Sometimes this makes the neubs feel better, but it really doesn't
      > bring any benefit.

      I didn't say that there's any actual benefit, but that having multiple
      PTR records is a valid configuration. Meaning that not "any given IP
      address should only have *one* corresponding PTR record", but "any given
      software should take into account the fact that a reverse lookup may
      return more than just one record".

      Besides, this still is unrelated to both Postfix and the OP's problem.

      Regards
      Ansgar Wiechers
      --Joel Spolsky