Re: OT: Supply Missing text/plain MIME part?

  • Chris Babcock
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 28, 2009
      On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 14:38:12 -0500
      Noel Jones <njones@...> wrote:

      > I say put on your somber face and agree that Hotmal is goofed
      > up, hope they fix it soon.

      My experience with Hotmail and other major web mail vendors is that
      they are too busy finding new and innovative ways to break email
      interconnectivity to persist in any individual strategy for a
      significant period of time.

      That said, I seem to recall that providing a text/plain part for all
      mail is best practice for M*U*As. If you want to enforce this at the
      M*T*A level then I doubt there is an off the shelf solution.

      So that you know what's involved...

      You'll need Lynx 2.8.6+ for HTML dump with -nomargins and -notitle
      switches, "path/lynx -dump -stdin -nolist -nomargins -notitle".

      You have to walk the MIME structure of the message to determine that
      there is a text/html part that does not have a corresponding text/plain
      part, decode and render the text/html part, build a text/plain part,
      build a multipart/alternative mime section and insert it into the mail
      message in place of the text/HTML part. An object-oriented library may
      manage MIME boundaries for you, but most scripting languages will let
      you handle that little detail yourself.

      Identifying MIME boundaries with a regex is non-trivial in practice.
      Python mimelib is adequate, but I find the load time for the Python
      interpreter to be prohibitive for mail filters, so that approach leads
      you into scope creep with time spent building an SMTP relay or worse. I
      have something that appears to work with the TRE regex library in
      CRM-114. The top Google result for "perl mime parser" describes
      MIME::Parser as an "experimental class for parsing MIME streams".
      Overall, not a promising lot.

      Chris