Re: Default parameter values in postfix configuration file.

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2009
      On 10/27/2009 10:08 AM, Manoj Burande wrote:
      > Hello All,
      >
      > I am a newbie for Postfix Mail server. Can anybody please suggest me
      > on Postfix's default parameter's configuration values. I have one
      > query relating to the same as,
      >
      > On my machine I am getting hundreds of default Postfix
      > configuration parameter values after running the "#postconf -d". Is
      > it means that I need to change it to override the default values?
      > or only required parameter values in "/etc/postfix/main.cf" defined
      > by me will only considered for postfix configuration?
      >
      > Please guide me what to do with this?
      >
      > Thanks in advance.

      The "postconf -d" command lists the compiled-in default values
      of postfix -- currently over 600 settings. The vast majority
      of these will never need to be adjusted by most users.

      Postfix uses carefully chosen defaults that should operate
      well in a wide variety of situations. Parameters that are
      commonly adjusted are listed in the sample main.cf included
      with postfix, other parameters can be added to main.cf as
      necessary for your environment.

      Please see the BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README for details of what
      should be set, see the other documentation for what the other
      parameters do.

      An excellent place to start is
      http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html

      A list of what all those parameters do can be found here:
      http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html
      But again, most of these should never be changed from their
      default setting.