Re: put mails in hold queue based on size

  • Sahil Tandon
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1 8:29 PM
      On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:

      > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
      >> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
      >> mails to be transferred during peak hours
      >
      > Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
      > And grossly inefficient. And rude.

      Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

      >> Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
      >> limit
      >
      > Yes, but this would take a policy service.
      >
      > <http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html>

      Better.

      --
      Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
    • LuKreme
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1 11:06 PM
        On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
        > On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:
        > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
        >>> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want
        >>> the
        >>> mails to be transferred during peak hours
        >>
        >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
        >> And grossly inefficient. And rude.
        >
        > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

        But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out why
        they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem. Everyday I
        have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my mailserver.

        --
        Maybe I should have seen it as some kind of sign,
        except I don't believe in them no more; no no, but
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 2 3:32 AM
          On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600
          LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:

          > On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE
          > >> files. And grossly inefficient. And rude.
          > >
          > > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.
          >
          > But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out
          > why they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem.
          > Everyday I have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my
          > mailserver.

          Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever
          method is appropriate for your situation. However, expecting others to
          enforce arbitrary rules that meet your expectations/requirements is not
          kosher.

          --
          Gerard
          postfix.user@...

          Every four seconds a woman has a baby. Our problem is to find this
          woman and stop her.
        • Sahil Tandon
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2 6:10 AM
            On Sun, 02 Aug 2009, Gerard wrote:

            > On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600
            > LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:
            >
            > > On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:

            > > > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.
            > >
            > > But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out
            > > why they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem.
            > > Everyday I have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my
            > > mailserver.
            >
            > Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever
            > method is appropriate for your situation. However, expecting others to
            > enforce arbitrary rules that meet your expectations/requirements is not
            > kosher.

            Bingo!

            --
            Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>