Re: put mails in hold queue based on size

  • LuKreme
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
      On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
      > Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
      > mails to be transferred during peak hours

      Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
      And grossly inefficient. And rude.

      > Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
      > limit

      Yes, but this would take a policy service.

      <http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html>

      --
      The way I see it, the longer I put it off, the better it'll end up
      being. Heck, school doesn't start for another 43 minutes.
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
        On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:

        > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
        >> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
        >> mails to be transferred during peak hours
        >
        > Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
        > And grossly inefficient. And rude.

        Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

        >> Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
        >> limit
        >
        > Yes, but this would take a policy service.
        >
        > <http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html>

        Better.

        --
        Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
      • LuKreme
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
          On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
          > On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:
          > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
          >>> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want
          >>> the
          >>> mails to be transferred during peak hours
          >>
          >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
          >> And grossly inefficient. And rude.
          >
          > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

          But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out why
          they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem. Everyday I
          have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my mailserver.

          --
          Maybe I should have seen it as some kind of sign,
          except I don't believe in them no more; no no, but
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
            On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600
            LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:

            > On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
            > >>
            > >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE
            > >> files. And grossly inefficient. And rude.
            > >
            > > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.
            >
            > But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out
            > why they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem.
            > Everyday I have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my
            > mailserver.

            Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever
            method is appropriate for your situation. However, expecting others to
            enforce arbitrary rules that meet your expectations/requirements is not
            kosher.

            --
            Gerard
            postfix.user@...

            Every four seconds a woman has a baby. Our problem is to find this
            woman and stop her.
          • Sahil Tandon
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
              On Sun, 02 Aug 2009, Gerard wrote:

              > On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600
              > LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:
              >
              > > On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:

              > > > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.
              > >
              > > But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out
              > > why they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem.
              > > Everyday I have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my
              > > mailserver.
              >
              > Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever
              > method is appropriate for your situation. However, expecting others to
              > enforce arbitrary rules that meet your expectations/requirements is not
              > kosher.

              Bingo!

              --
              Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>