Re: put mails in hold queue based on size

  • Sahil Tandon
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
      On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, ram wrote:

      > Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
      > mails to be transferred during peak hours
      >
      > Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
      > limit

      Yes, with a policy service called in smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions. An
      example using postfwd (http://www.postfwd.org):

      id=PEAK_SIZE; state==END-OF-MESSAGE; \
      time=07:00:00-11:00:00; \
      size=30000000; \
      action=HOLD

      --
      Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
    • LuKreme
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
        On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
        > Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
        > mails to be transferred during peak hours

        Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
        And grossly inefficient. And rude.

        > Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
        > limit

        Yes, but this would take a policy service.

        <http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html>

        --
        The way I see it, the longer I put it off, the better it'll end up
        being. Heck, school doesn't start for another 43 minutes.
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
          On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:

          > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
          >> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
          >> mails to be transferred during peak hours
          >
          > Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
          > And grossly inefficient. And rude.

          Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

          >> Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
          >> limit
          >
          > Yes, but this would take a policy service.
          >
          > <http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html>

          Better.

          --
          Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
        • LuKreme
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
            On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
            > On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:
            > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
            >>> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want
            >>> the
            >>> mails to be transferred during peak hours
            >>
            >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
            >> And grossly inefficient. And rude.
            >
            > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

            But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out why
            they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem. Everyday I
            have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my mailserver.

            --
            Maybe I should have seen it as some kind of sign,
            except I don't believe in them no more; no no, but
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
              On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600
              LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:

              > On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
              > >>
              > >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE
              > >> files. And grossly inefficient. And rude.
              > >
              > > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.
              >
              > But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out
              > why they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem.
              > Everyday I have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my
              > mailserver.

              Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever
              method is appropriate for your situation. However, expecting others to
              enforce arbitrary rules that meet your expectations/requirements is not
              kosher.

              --
              Gerard
              postfix.user@...

              Every four seconds a woman has a baby. Our problem is to find this
              woman and stop her.
            • Sahil Tandon
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
                On Sun, 02 Aug 2009, Gerard wrote:

                > On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600
                > LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:
                >
                > > On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:

                > > > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.
                > >
                > > But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out
                > > why they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem.
                > > Everyday I have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my
                > > mailserver.
                >
                > Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever
                > method is appropriate for your situation. However, expecting others to
                > enforce arbitrary rules that meet your expectations/requirements is not
                > kosher.

                Bingo!

                --
                Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>