Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: put mails in hold queue based on size

Expand Messages
  • Wietse Venema
    ... Only via the policy daemon protocol. Wietse
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      ram:
      > Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
      > mails to be transferred during peak hours
      >
      > Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
      > limit

      Only via the policy daemon protocol.

      Wietse
    • Sahil Tandon
      ... Yes, with a policy service called in smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions. An example using postfwd (http://www.postfwd.org): id=PEAK_SIZE;
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, ram wrote:

        > Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
        > mails to be transferred during peak hours
        >
        > Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
        > limit

        Yes, with a policy service called in smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions. An
        example using postfwd (http://www.postfwd.org):

        id=PEAK_SIZE; state==END-OF-MESSAGE; \
        time=07:00:00-11:00:00; \
        size=30000000; \
        action=HOLD

        --
        Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
      • LuKreme
        ... Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files. And grossly inefficient. And rude. ... Yes, but this would take a policy service.
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
          > Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
          > mails to be transferred during peak hours

          Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
          And grossly inefficient. And rude.

          > Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
          > limit

          Yes, but this would take a policy service.

          <http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html>

          --
          The way I see it, the longer I put it off, the better it'll end up
          being. Heck, school doesn't start for another 43 minutes.
        • Sahil Tandon
          ... Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks. ... Better. -- Sahil Tandon
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:

            > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
            >> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want the
            >> mails to be transferred during peak hours
            >
            > Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
            > And grossly inefficient. And rude.

            Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

            >> Is there a way I can put mail to hold , if size exceeds a particular
            >> limit
            >
            > Yes, but this would take a policy service.
            >
            > <http://www.postfix.org/SMTPD_POLICY_README.html>

            Better.

            --
            Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
          • LuKreme
            ... But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out why they don t get delivered it stops being just their problem. Everyday I have someone
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 1, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
              > On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:
              > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
              >>> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont want
              >>> the
              >>> mails to be transferred during peak hours
              >>
              >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE files.
              >> And grossly inefficient. And rude.
              >
              > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.

              But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out why
              they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem. Everyday I
              have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my mailserver.


              --
              Maybe I should have seen it as some kind of sign,
              except I don't believe in them no more; no no, but
              I believe these things I can't forget, tho I don't
              see you anymore.
            • Gerard
              On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600 ... Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever method is appropriate for your situation. However,
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600
                LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:

                > On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
                > > On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:
                > > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
                > >>> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont
                > >>> want the
                > >>> mails to be transferred during peak hours
                > >>
                > >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE
                > >> files. And grossly inefficient. And rude.
                > >
                > > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.
                >
                > But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out
                > why they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem.
                > Everyday I have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my
                > mailserver.

                Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever
                method is appropriate for your situation. However, expecting others to
                enforce arbitrary rules that meet your expectations/requirements is not
                kosher.

                --
                Gerard
                postfix.user@...

                TO REPORT A PROBLEM see http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail
                TO (UN)SUBSCRIBE see http://www.postfix.org/lists.html

                Every four seconds a woman has a baby. Our problem is to find this
                woman and stop her.
              • Sahil Tandon
                ... Bingo! -- Sahil Tandon
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 2, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  On Sun, 02 Aug 2009, Gerard wrote:

                  > On Sun, 2 Aug 2009 00:06:52 -0600
                  > LuKreme <kremels@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > > On 1-Aug-2009, at 21:29, Sahil Tandon wrote:
                  > > > On Sat, 01 Aug 2009, LuKreme wrote:
                  > > > On 1-Aug-2009, at 06:18, ram wrote:
                  > > >>> Some users on my postfix system send *Huge* mails and I dont
                  > > >>> want the
                  > > >>> mails to be transferred during peak hours
                  > > >>
                  > > >> Why transfer them at all? Email is a horrible way to send HUGE
                  > > >> files. And grossly inefficient. And rude.
                  > > >
                  > > > Irrelevant. Different strokes for different folks.
                  > >
                  > > But when they are sending out 300MB emails and tryng to figure out
                  > > why they don't get delivered it stops being just their problem.
                  > > Everyday I have someone attempt to send an oversized email to my
                  > > mailserver.
                  >
                  > Everyday, I receive some form of SPAM too. Deal with it in what ever
                  > method is appropriate for your situation. However, expecting others to
                  > enforce arbitrary rules that meet your expectations/requirements is not
                  > kosher.

                  Bingo!

                  --
                  Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.