mail from,return-path,reverse-path

  • Jeff Huang
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 29, 2009
      Hi.

      How to determine the mail from when the mail is sending.

      For example,I send a email to id2@... from the domain1.com(the sender is id1@...).

      And the id2 at domain2.com is a aliase to id3@....

      So what is the mail from when the email forward from domain2.com to domain3.com?

      I think the return-path is the same as reverse-path which can be report errors.

      Is that right?Which is the relation between mail from and returen-path and reverse-path.

      --------------
      Jeff Huang
      2009-07-30
    • Magnus Bäck
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 30, 2009
        On Thursday, July 30, 2009 at 04:19 CEST,
        Jeff Huang <jbhuang@...> wrote:

        > How to determine the mail from when the mail is sending.
        >
        > For example,I send a email to id2@... from the domain1.com(the
        > sender is id1@...).
        >
        > And the id2 at domain2.com is a aliase to id3@....
        >
        > So what is the mail from when the email forward from domain2.com to
        > domain3.com?

        The envelope sender does not change, so it's still id1@....

        (Theoretically it could change, of course, as the receiving server for
        domain2.com could do anything it pleases with the email.)

        > I think the return-path is the same as reverse-path which can be
        > report errors.
        >
        > Is that right?Which is the relation between mail from and returen-path
        > and reverse-path.

        I haven't even heard the term "reverse path" before. Most likely it's
        someone mixing it up with the more common "return path", so you can
        assume they're synonyms.

        --
        Magnus Bäck
        magnus@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 1, 2009
          Magnus Bäck a écrit :
          > [snip]
          >
          > I haven't even heard the term "reverse path" before. Most likely it's
          > someone mixing it up with the more common "return path", so you can
          > assume they're synonyms.

          I'm sure you heard it before, but forgot that. it's the term used in RFC
          821 (and still used in 5321).

          so for OP:
          envelop sender = return-path = reverse-path = "envelop mail from"