Missing X-UID on new server

  • Adam Tucker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 3:00 PM
      I recently installed and configured postfix on a new server that will
      be replacing our old mail server. The old server is running version
      2.2.10 and the new one has 2.3.3.

      It's working well, and I tried to duplicate the configuration as much
      as possible, but there is one quirk I have not been able to sort out.
      On the old server, when I go to /var/mail and open one of the inboxes,
      each message has X-UID, Status, and X-Keywords headers. On the new
      server, none of the messages have those headers. On the new server,
      each inbox has the following message at the top, which does not appear
      on the old server:

      From MAILER_DAEMON Wed Jun 03 20:40:08 2009
      Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:40:08 -0500
      From: Mail System Internal Data <MAILER-DAEMON@...>
      Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA

      I would like all the messages on the new server to have at least the
      X-UID header. What did I miss?

      Thanks,
      Adam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 3:30 PM
        Adam Tucker wrote:
        > I recently installed and configured postfix on a new server that will
        > be replacing our old mail server. The old server is running version
        > 2.2.10 and the new one has 2.3.3.
        >
        > It's working well, and I tried to duplicate the configuration as much
        > as possible, but there is one quirk I have not been able to sort out.
        > On the old server, when I go to /var/mail and open one of the inboxes,
        > each message has X-UID, Status, and X-Keywords headers. On the new
        > server, none of the messages have those headers. On the new server,
        > each inbox has the following message at the top, which does not appear
        > on the old server:
        >
        > From MAILER_DAEMON Wed Jun 03 20:40:08 2009
        > Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 20:40:08 -0500
        > From: Mail System Internal Data <MAILER-DAEMON@...>
        > Subject: DON'T DELETE THIS MESSAGE -- FOLDER INTERNAL DATA
        >

        > I would like all the messages on the new server to have at least the
        > X-UID header. What did I miss?

        Those items are added automatically by your IMAP/POP server
        software, not postfix.

        If you're using different IMAP/POP software on the new box, it
        may not need those headers, or maybe it hasn't opened those
        mailboxes yet.

        At any rate, neither you nor postfix should ever add those
        headers.

        -- Noel Jones
      • Adam Tucker
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1 3:32 PM
          My apologies, I must have missed something in the Dovecot configs.
          Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!