Re: Server identifies itself using internal domain name

  • Brian Evans - Postfix List
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
      Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
      > You have identified the problem. Thanks!
      >
      > Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
      >> Where are your logs for such an event?
      >
      > Looking at the logs again I observed that some of the entries were in
      > fact from sendmail.
      >
      > I was puzzled at first, because the sendmail daemons are turned off,
      > but now I realize that when attempting to test the postfix
      > configuration I was actually invoking (indirectly) the sendmail
      > command-line executable /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
      >
      > What is the usually way to force all system services to use postfix? I
      > see that /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink that points to
      > /etc/alternatives/mta, which points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
      > Should I redirect /etc/alternatives/mta to point to
      > /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix?
      >
      > In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
      > created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
      > have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
      > with MySQL support).

      This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue.
      A quick Google of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.
    • Jonathan Turkanis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:

        >> In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
        >> created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
        >> have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
        >> with MySQL support).
        >
        > This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue.
        > A quick Google of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.

        Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to ask for CentOS support here.

        Can I infer from your answer that there is defintely not a standard way
        to address this issue on all systems?

        Best Regards,

        --
        Jonathan Turkanis
        CodeRage
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
          Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
          > Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
          >
          >>> In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
          >>> created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
          >>> have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
          >>> with MySQL support).
          >>
          >> This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue. A quick Google
          >> of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.
          >
          > Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to ask for CentOS support here.
          >
          > Can I infer from your answer that there is defintely not a standard
          > way to address this issue on all systems?
          >
          > Best Regards,

          I have not used Centos in a while, but I think there is a command
          "system-switch-mail" that will switch you between sendmail and Postfix
          and vice versa.
          It might help.