Re: Server identifies itself using internal domain name

  • Jonathan Turkanis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
      You have identified the problem. Thanks!

      Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
      >> I've tried setting the variables mydomain and myhostname to the
      >> correct public domain names in main.cf, but the server still
      >> identifies itself as ip-xx-xx-xx-xx.ec2.internal.
      > Are you sure you do not have another MTA such as sendmail daemon running?

      Sendmail is installed, but its daemons are turned off. I installed
      Postfix because I was planning to do it eventually so it didn't make
      sense to troubleshoot this issue using Sendmail.

      > Postfix honors myhostname above what is set as machine hostname.
      > The bounce message does not appear to be Postfix generated.

      You are correct; I sent an old bounce message that illustrated the
      problem, because now that I have installed postfix messages are not
      being delivered to root, so I don't have any current bounce messages.
      That was going to be my next question to this list.

      I should have sent the current logs, which would have shown the problem.

      > Where are your logs for such an event?

      Looking at the logs again I observed that some of the entries were in
      fact from sendmail.

      I was puzzled at first, because the sendmail daemons are turned off, but
      now I realize that when attempting to test the postfix configuration I
      was actually invoking (indirectly) the sendmail command-line executable
      /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.

      What is the usually way to force all system services to use postfix? I
      see that /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink that points to
      /etc/alternatives/mta, which points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
      Should I redirect /etc/alternatives/mta to point to
      /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix?

      In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
      created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I have
      to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled with
      MySQL support).

      > Brian

      Best Regards,

      --
      Jonathan Turkanis
      CodeRage
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
        > You have identified the problem. Thanks!
        >
        > Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
        >> Where are your logs for such an event?
        >
        > Looking at the logs again I observed that some of the entries were in
        > fact from sendmail.
        >
        > I was puzzled at first, because the sendmail daemons are turned off,
        > but now I realize that when attempting to test the postfix
        > configuration I was actually invoking (indirectly) the sendmail
        > command-line executable /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
        >
        > What is the usually way to force all system services to use postfix? I
        > see that /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink that points to
        > /etc/alternatives/mta, which points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
        > Should I redirect /etc/alternatives/mta to point to
        > /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix?
        >
        > In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
        > created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
        > have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
        > with MySQL support).

        This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue.
        A quick Google of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.
      • Jonathan Turkanis
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
          Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:

          >> In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
          >> created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
          >> have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
          >> with MySQL support).
          >
          > This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue.
          > A quick Google of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.

          Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to ask for CentOS support here.

          Can I infer from your answer that there is defintely not a standard way
          to address this issue on all systems?

          Best Regards,

          --
          Jonathan Turkanis
          CodeRage
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
            Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
            > Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
            >
            >>> In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
            >>> created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
            >>> have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
            >>> with MySQL support).
            >>
            >> This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue. A quick Google
            >> of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.
            >
            > Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to ask for CentOS support here.
            >
            > Can I infer from your answer that there is defintely not a standard
            > way to address this issue on all systems?
            >
            > Best Regards,

            I have not used Centos in a while, but I think there is a command
            "system-switch-mail" that will switch you between sendmail and Postfix
            and vice versa.
            It might help.