Re: sender_bcc_maps and performance

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 10:01 AM
      On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 02:48:00PM +0200, Rocco Scappatura wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I have enabled "sender_bcc_maps" in my main.cf. The lookup file has just
      > 2 entries.

      What fraction of your traffic is sent by these 2 entries. Do you have
      content filters downstream of the cleanup service that adds the bcc
      addresses? Report your configuration:

      > I have noticed that the number of message in active queue grews as soon
      > as I enable this feature.

      Your observations are flawed, this processing happens before the message
      enters the active queue, so more latency upstream would actually reduce
      the size of the active queue unless you significantly increase the
      number of output messages per input message, which suggests a misconfigured
      content filter or similar.

    • Rocco Scappatura
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2 1:28 AM
        Thanks Victor,

        > On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 02:48:00PM +0200, Rocco Scappatura wrote:
        >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > I have enabled "sender_bcc_maps" in my main.cf. The lookup file has
        > just
        > > 2 entries.
        >
        > What fraction of your traffic is sent by these 2 entries. Do you have
        > content filters downstream of the cleanup service that adds the bcc
        > addresses? Report your configuration:
        >
        > http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail

        A neglegible one. Yes, I have set up a content filter (amavisd-new).
        Anyway, here is my postconf output:

        alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
        anvil_rate_time_unit = 60s
        bounce_size_limit = 1
        command_directory = /usr/sbin
        config_directory = /etc/postfix
        daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
        debug_peer_level = 2
        default_process_limit = 150
        html_directory = no
        inet_interfaces = $myhostname, localhost
        local_recipient_maps = unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps
        mail_owner = postfix
        mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
        mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
        manpage_directory = /usr/local/man
        message_size_limit = 35840000
        minimal_backoff_time = 1800s
        mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain
        mydomain = av2.sttspa.it
        myhostname = av2.sttspa.it
        mynetworks = /etc/postfix/relayzahra2
        myorigin = $mydomain
        newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
        proxy_read_maps = $local_recipient_maps $mydestination
        $virtual_alias_maps $virtual_alias_domains $virtual_mailbox_maps
        $virtual_mailbox_domains $relay_recipient_maps $relay_domains
        $canonical_maps $sender_canonical_maps $recipient_canonical_maps
        $relocated_maps $transport_maps $mynetworks
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-recipient-access.cf
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-client-access.cf
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-sender-access.cf
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-relay-recipients.cf
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-transport.cf
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-client-filter-access.cf
        queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
        readme_directory = no
        relay_domains = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-relay-domains.cf
        relay_recipient_maps =
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-relay-recipients.cf
        sample_directory = /etc/postfix
        sender_bcc_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/sender_bcc
        sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
        setgid_group = postdrop
        smtp_connect_timeout = 30s
        smtp_discard_ehlo_keyword_address_maps =
        hash:/etc/postfix/mta_workarounds
        smtpd_banner = $myhostname
        smtpd_client_connection_count_limit = 50
        smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit = 100
        smtpd_client_event_limit_exceptions = <list of IPs>
        smtpd_client_message_rate_limit = 60
        smtpd_client_recipient_rate_limit = 250
        smtpd_client_restrictions = check_client_access
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-client-filter-access.cf
        smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions =
        smtpd_helo_restrictions =
        smtpd_recipient_restrictions = check_client_access
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-client-access.cf
        permit_mynetworks permit_sasl_authenticated
        reject_unauth_destination reject_non_fqdn_sender
        reject_non_fqdn_recipient reject_unlisted_sender
        reject_unlisted_recipient reject_unknown_sender_domain
        reject_invalid_hostname reject_rbl_client zen.spamhaus.org
        reject_rbl_client list.dsbl.org
        smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
        smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_sender_access
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-sender-access.cf
        check_recipient_access
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-sender-access.cf
        check_recipient_access
        proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-check-recipient-access.cf
        strict_rfc821_envelopes = yes
        transport_maps = proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-transport.cf
        unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
        unverified_recipient_reject_code = 550

        > > I have noticed that the number of message in active queue grews as
        > soon
        > > as I enable this feature.
        >
        > Your observations are flawed, this processing happens before the
        > message
        > enters the active queue, so more latency upstream would actually
        reduce
        > the size of the active queue unless you significantly increase the
        > number of output messages per input message, which suggests a
        > misconfigured
        > content filter or similar.

        OK. I have applied configuration updating during a congested moment.. I
        fear that this has increased congestion as result.

        Then I have rolled back modifications and all (slowly) have returned to
        work normally.

        Finally, I have applied again configuration modification (which uses
        'sender_bcc_maps') yesterday night and tomorrow all works fine without
        (at least at the moment) active queue congestion.

        What it could be happen?

        Thanks,

        rocsca