Re: Server identifies itself using internal domain name

  • Brian Evans - Postfix List
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
      Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
      > I've tried setting the variables mydomain and myhostname to the
      > correct public domain names in main.cf, but the server still
      > identifies itself as ip-xx-xx-xx-xx.ec2.internal.
      >
      > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

      Are you sure you do not have another MTA such as sendmail daemon running?

      Postfix honors myhostname above what is set as machine hostname.
      The bounce message does not appear to be Postfix generated.

      Where are your logs for such an event?

      Brian
    • Jonathan Turkanis
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
        You have identified the problem. Thanks!

        Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
        >> I've tried setting the variables mydomain and myhostname to the
        >> correct public domain names in main.cf, but the server still
        >> identifies itself as ip-xx-xx-xx-xx.ec2.internal.
        > Are you sure you do not have another MTA such as sendmail daemon running?

        Sendmail is installed, but its daemons are turned off. I installed
        Postfix because I was planning to do it eventually so it didn't make
        sense to troubleshoot this issue using Sendmail.

        > Postfix honors myhostname above what is set as machine hostname.
        > The bounce message does not appear to be Postfix generated.

        You are correct; I sent an old bounce message that illustrated the
        problem, because now that I have installed postfix messages are not
        being delivered to root, so I don't have any current bounce messages.
        That was going to be my next question to this list.

        I should have sent the current logs, which would have shown the problem.

        > Where are your logs for such an event?

        Looking at the logs again I observed that some of the entries were in
        fact from sendmail.

        I was puzzled at first, because the sendmail daemons are turned off, but
        now I realize that when attempting to test the postfix configuration I
        was actually invoking (indirectly) the sendmail command-line executable
        /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.

        What is the usually way to force all system services to use postfix? I
        see that /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink that points to
        /etc/alternatives/mta, which points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
        Should I redirect /etc/alternatives/mta to point to
        /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix?

        In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
        created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I have
        to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled with
        MySQL support).

        > Brian

        Best Regards,

        --
        Jonathan Turkanis
        CodeRage
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
          Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
          > You have identified the problem. Thanks!
          >
          > Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
          >> Where are your logs for such an event?
          >
          > Looking at the logs again I observed that some of the entries were in
          > fact from sendmail.
          >
          > I was puzzled at first, because the sendmail daemons are turned off,
          > but now I realize that when attempting to test the postfix
          > configuration I was actually invoking (indirectly) the sendmail
          > command-line executable /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
          >
          > What is the usually way to force all system services to use postfix? I
          > see that /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink that points to
          > /etc/alternatives/mta, which points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
          > Should I redirect /etc/alternatives/mta to point to
          > /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix?
          >
          > In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
          > created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
          > have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
          > with MySQL support).

          This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue.
          A quick Google of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.
        • Jonathan Turkanis
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1, 2009
            Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:

            >> In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
            >> created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
            >> have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
            >> with MySQL support).
            >
            > This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue.
            > A quick Google of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.

            Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to ask for CentOS support here.

            Can I infer from your answer that there is defintely not a standard way
            to address this issue on all systems?

            Best Regards,

            --
            Jonathan Turkanis
            CodeRage
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 2, 2009
              Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
              > Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
              >
              >>> In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
              >>> created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
              >>> have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
              >>> with MySQL support).
              >>
              >> This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue. A quick Google
              >> of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.
              >
              > Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to ask for CentOS support here.
              >
              > Can I infer from your answer that there is defintely not a standard
              > way to address this issue on all systems?
              >
              > Best Regards,

              I have not used Centos in a while, but I think there is a command
              "system-switch-mail" that will switch you between sendmail and Postfix
              and vice versa.
              It might help.