cache LDAP queries

  • Ihsan Dogan
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
      Hello,

      While running a few test I've noticed, that Postfix does not cache any
      LDAP queries. As far I can see, I can limit the number of simultaneous
      queries with proxymap, but is it possible to cache the LDAP queries?

      I've noticed that according to ldap_table(5) the cache statement was
      removed. Is there any replacement for this?

      Ihsan

      --
      ihsan@... http://blog.dogan.ch/
      http://ihsan.dogan.ch/
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
        Indeed that would be very interested. By the way i am using proxymap for
        ldap:tables and saw the ldap server running much smoothly now.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
          On Wed, Jul 01, 2009 at 11:07:11AM +0200, Ihsan Dogan wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > While running a few test I've noticed, that Postfix does not cache any
          > LDAP queries. As far I can see, I can limit the number of simultaneous
          > queries with proxymap, but is it possible to cache the LDAP queries?
          >
          > I've noticed that according to ldap_table(5) the cache statement was
          > removed. Is there any replacement for this?

          No. LDAP supports robust distributed caching via replication. If you
          want local caching on a MTA, field an LDAP replica on the MTA or
          dedicate a suitable replica on a nearby machine to the MTA.

          LDAP caching in the LDAP library was buggy, and has poor semantics.
          Support was withdrawn in OpenLDAP, not just Postfix. This is NOT
          coming back.

        • Ihsan Dogan
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2009
            Victor Duchovni wrote:

            > No. LDAP supports robust distributed caching via replication. If you
            > want local caching on a MTA, field an LDAP replica on the MTA or
            > dedicate a suitable replica on a nearby machine to the MTA.
            >
            > LDAP caching in the LDAP library was buggy, and has poor semantics.
            > Support was withdrawn in OpenLDAP, not just Postfix. This is NOT
            > coming back.

            I see. Thanks for the explanation.

            Ihsan

            --
            ihsan@... http://blog.dogan.ch/
          • Quanah Gibson-Mount
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 2, 2009
              --On Thursday, July 02, 2009 8:10 AM +0200 Ihsan Dogan <ihsan@...>
              wrote:

              > Victor Duchovni wrote:
              >
              >> No. LDAP supports robust distributed caching via replication. If you
              >> want local caching on a MTA, field an LDAP replica on the MTA or
              >> dedicate a suitable replica on a nearby machine to the MTA.
              >>
              >> LDAP caching in the LDAP library was buggy, and has poor semantics.
              >> Support was withdrawn in OpenLDAP, not just Postfix. This is NOT
              >> coming back.
              >
              > I see. Thanks for the explanation.

              There is however:
              <http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin24/overlays.html#The%20Proxy%20Cache%20Engine>