Re: Server identifies itself using internal domain name

  • Jonathan Turkanis
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 1 12:11 AM
      R Johnson wrote:
      > On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 23:58 -0600, Jonathan Turkanis wrote:

      >> my post, I have tried setting
      >>
      >> myhostname = mail.mydomain.com
      >>
      >> with no effect (server still identifies itself using the internal
      >> name).

      > Try this in main.cf JT;
      > # myhostname gives this externally
      > myhostname = mail.yourdomain.com
      >
      > mydomain = yourdomain.com
      > myorigin = $mydomain
      > smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP reporting for duty...

      Sadly, I still have the same problem.

      Here is the output of postconf -n; maybe there are other errors:

      alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
      alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
      command_directory = /usr/sbin
      config_directory = /etc/postfix
      daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
      debug_peer_level = 2
      html_directory = no
      inet_interfaces = all
      mail_owner = postfix
      mail_spool_directory = /var/spool/mail
      mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
      manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
      mydestination = localhost.$mydomain localhost
      mydomain = mydomain.com
      myhostname = mail.mydomain.com
      myorigin = $mydomain
      queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
      readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES
      setgid_group = postdrop
      smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP reporting for duty...
      unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

      Best Regards,

      --
      Jonathan Turkanis
      CodeRage
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 1 5:59 AM
        Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
        > I've tried setting the variables mydomain and myhostname to the
        > correct public domain names in main.cf, but the server still
        > identifies itself as ip-xx-xx-xx-xx.ec2.internal.
        >
        > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

        Are you sure you do not have another MTA such as sendmail daemon running?

        Postfix honors myhostname above what is set as machine hostname.
        The bounce message does not appear to be Postfix generated.

        Where are your logs for such an event?

        Brian
      • Jonathan Turkanis
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 1 1:39 PM
          You have identified the problem. Thanks!

          Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
          >> I've tried setting the variables mydomain and myhostname to the
          >> correct public domain names in main.cf, but the server still
          >> identifies itself as ip-xx-xx-xx-xx.ec2.internal.
          > Are you sure you do not have another MTA such as sendmail daemon running?

          Sendmail is installed, but its daemons are turned off. I installed
          Postfix because I was planning to do it eventually so it didn't make
          sense to troubleshoot this issue using Sendmail.

          > Postfix honors myhostname above what is set as machine hostname.
          > The bounce message does not appear to be Postfix generated.

          You are correct; I sent an old bounce message that illustrated the
          problem, because now that I have installed postfix messages are not
          being delivered to root, so I don't have any current bounce messages.
          That was going to be my next question to this list.

          I should have sent the current logs, which would have shown the problem.

          > Where are your logs for such an event?

          Looking at the logs again I observed that some of the entries were in
          fact from sendmail.

          I was puzzled at first, because the sendmail daemons are turned off, but
          now I realize that when attempting to test the postfix configuration I
          was actually invoking (indirectly) the sendmail command-line executable
          /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.

          What is the usually way to force all system services to use postfix? I
          see that /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink that points to
          /etc/alternatives/mta, which points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
          Should I redirect /etc/alternatives/mta to point to
          /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix?

          In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
          created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I have
          to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled with
          MySQL support).

          > Brian

          Best Regards,

          --
          Jonathan Turkanis
          CodeRage
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 1 1:59 PM
            Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
            > You have identified the problem. Thanks!
            >
            > Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
            >> Where are your logs for such an event?
            >
            > Looking at the logs again I observed that some of the entries were in
            > fact from sendmail.
            >
            > I was puzzled at first, because the sendmail daemons are turned off,
            > but now I realize that when attempting to test the postfix
            > configuration I was actually invoking (indirectly) the sendmail
            > command-line executable /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
            >
            > What is the usually way to force all system services to use postfix? I
            > see that /usr/sbin/sendmail is a symlink that points to
            > /etc/alternatives/mta, which points to /usr/sbin/sendmail.sendmail.
            > Should I redirect /etc/alternatives/mta to point to
            > /usr/sbin/sendmail.postfix?
            >
            > In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
            > created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
            > have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
            > with MySQL support).

            This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue.
            A quick Google of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.
          • Jonathan Turkanis
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 1 2:04 PM
              Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:

              >> In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
              >> created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
              >> have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
              >> with MySQL support).
              >
              > This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue.
              > A quick Google of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.

              Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to ask for CentOS support here.

              Can I infer from your answer that there is defintely not a standard way
              to address this issue on all systems?

              Best Regards,

              --
              Jonathan Turkanis
              CodeRage
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 2 4:06 AM
                Jonathan Turkanis wrote:
                > Brian Evans - Postfix List wrote:
                >
                >>> In the future, when I install postfix, will the correct symlinks be
                >>> created for me, if sendmail is not present, or is this something I
                >>> have to do manually? (I am using a an RPM from CentOS extras compiled
                >>> with MySQL support).
                >>
                >> This is a distribution question than a Postfix issue. A quick Google
                >> of "alternatives mta" should give some pointers.
                >
                > Thanks. I certainly didn't mean to ask for CentOS support here.
                >
                > Can I infer from your answer that there is defintely not a standard
                > way to address this issue on all systems?
                >
                > Best Regards,

                I have not used Centos in a while, but I think there is a command
                "system-switch-mail" that will switch you between sendmail and Postfix
                and vice versa.
                It might help.