Re: Postfix with PostgreSQL

    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 2, 2009
      On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 02:28:34PM -0600, Just E. Mail wrote:

      > I appreciate if someone can post or email me a sample copy of:
      >
      > a. A Schema of Postfix-PGSQL tables/keys
      > b. A copy of the pgsql-aliases.cf

      Why are you trying to use Postgres with Postfix if you don't actually
      know what the Postgres part is for?

      Start by answering the question:

      - What data will I be storing in Postgres?
      - Why Postgres and not a CDB file, or similar?

      First get Postfix working with simple tools, add complexity slowly.

    • Just E. Mail
      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 2, 2009
        Victor Duchovni wrote:
        > On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 02:28:34PM -0600, Just E. Mail wrote:
        >

        >> I appreciate if someone can post or email me a sample copy of:
        >>
        >> a. A Schema of Postfix-PGSQL tables/keys
        >> b. A copy of the pgsql-aliases.cf
        >>

        > Why are you trying to use Postgres with Postfix if you don't actually
        > know what the Postgres part is for?
        >
        > Start by answering the question:
        >
        > - What data will I be storing in Postgres?
        > - Why Postgres and not a CDB file, or similar?
        >
        > First get Postfix working with simple tools, add complexity slowly.

        I am setting up LVS. I have two Real Servers running CentOS, PostgeSQL
        Client, freeRADIUS, Postfix, etc. Both of the Real Servers access data
        from the backend PostgreSQL Server.

        I have setup freeRADIUS application. It authenticates users from the SQL
        database. Postfix is much more flexible where it is open to creating
        Schema to one's own design. There is no sample Schema to start with.
        That's why I have so many questions but I am trying hard. I do have
        Postfix working (but not with PGSQL)!

        Thank you for your help.

        Jennifer K.
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 2, 2009
          On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 05:24:04PM -0600, Just E. Mail wrote:

          >> Start by answering the question:
          >>
          >> - What data will I be storing in Postgres?
          >> - Why Postgres and not a CDB file, or similar?
          >>
          >> First get Postfix working with simple tools, add complexity slowly.
          >
          > I am setting up LVS. I have two Real Servers running CentOS, PostgeSQL
          > Client, freeRADIUS, Postfix, etc. Both of the Real Servers access data from
          > the backend PostgreSQL Server.

          Well, what data is in that database that you would like to query? Or
          alternatively what does your Postfix installation need to know from
          an external source that it does not currently have available to it
          directly via its existing config files?

          - Rewrite tables for virtual alias users?
          - Aliases(5) tables for system users?
          - Transport(5) tables for selecting per-user relayhosts
          (not recommended, use virtual(5) instead if possible)
          - ...

          > I have setup freeRADIUS application. It authenticates users from the SQL
          > database. Postfix is much more flexible where it is open to creating Schema
          > to one's own design. There is no sample Schema to start with. That's why I
          > have so many questions but I am trying hard. I do have Postfix working (but
          > not with PGSQL)!

          Yes, but what is the *purpose* of having Postfix query Postgres. That
          can't be a goal in itself. What data do you need?

        • Charles Marcus
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 3, 2009
            On 6/2/2009, Just E. Mail (justemail@...) wrote:
            > I am setting up LVS. I have two Real Servers running CentOS,
            > PostgeSQL Client, freeRADIUS, Postfix, etc. Both of the Real Servers
            > access data from the backend PostgreSQL Server.
            >
            > I have setup freeRADIUS application. It authenticates users from the
            > SQL database. Postfix is much more flexible where it is open to
            > creating Schema to one's own design. There is no sample Schema to
            > start with. That's why I have so many questions but I am trying hard.
            > I do have Postfix working (but not with PGSQL)!

            If you already have a functioning pgsql server authenticating users,
            then why not simply use that? Define a .cf map query that will work
            against your *current* *working* schema, and just point it to your
            current/working SQL server...

            Or maybe I'm not understanding something?

            --

            Best regards,

            Charles
          • Just E. Mail
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 3, 2009
              I have this posting out for couple of days and many Techies from this
              mailing list responded with suggestions. I did not understand any one of
              them because I am a NEWBIE and I was thinking more closed in a SQL box
              and thinking of Postfix using the backend PGSQL in some what a
              conventional way - database, schema, quiries, so on...

              So today with good night sleep, I got up and read "POSTFIX - The
              Definitive Guide" by Kyle D. Dent & it made sense. So now I understand
              that in Postfix there are MAPS for Data/Information. Each MAP handles a
              particular data. For example a MAP for Virtual Domains handles a list of
              Virtual Domains, an Aliases Map has a list of emails pointing to other
              emails (forwarding), etc. One has to configure each MAP to retrieve its
              underlying data/information from a table or a database.

              This is very good design used in Postfix but not understanding it
              clearly got me down. Now I can setup one or more MAPS to connect to
              backend PGSQL as Imake progress.

              Thank you all.

              I have only one more wish; I wish there was a list of all the MAPS used
              in Postfix?

              Jennifer King
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 3, 2009
                On Wed, Jun 03, 2009 at 09:05:16AM -0600, Just E. Mail wrote:

                > I have only one more wish; I wish there was a list of all the MAPS used in
                > Postfix?

                You really don't want this. Less is more. Only define or override Postfix
                parameters that implement a non-default behaviour you need to control
                in order to achieve a particular behaviour.

                Generally, stick to what's described in:

                - An example configuration in the (in your case O'Reilly) book, or

                * BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
                * STANDARD_CONFIGURATION_README.html
                * ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html
                * ADDRESS_CLASS_README.html
                * VIRTUAL_README.html
                * TLS_README.html
                * SASL_README.html
                * QSHAPE_README.html
                * ... other tutorials in http://www.postfix.org/documentation.html

                Venture into any given tutorial as and when necessary, otherwise read them
                slowly approximately in the order suggested. Resist the urge to tweak
                parameters (except on test servers) unless it is *vital* to change them
                from their default value, cosmetic changes will only cause you grief later.