group aliases: how to suppress double delivery?

  • Bernd Nies
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2009
      Hi,

      Our users have the following complaint about the Postfix behaviour: They write Emails to

      From: somebody@...
      To: group1@..., group2@...

      The mailgroup is expanded with aliases to

      group1: user1, user2, user3, user4, user5
      group2: user5, user6, user7

      Then user5 gets the same email twice in its inbox. We recently had to migrate from Cyrus IMAP to Zimbra as backend
      mailserver and use Postfix on our gateways and to manage all the thousands aliases and special hacks because Zimbra is
      not flexible enough. In Cyrus IMAP one could suppress double delivery to the same mailbox when a message had the same
      Message-ID.

      I remember that Sendmail expanded all group aliases and stripped off duplicate recipients. How can this done with
      Postfix? I googled for that problem but did not find a

      Thanks in advance for help.

      Best regards,
      Bernd

      $ postconf -d mail_version
      mail_version = 2.3.3

      $ postconf -n
      alias_database = dbm:/etc/opt/adnpostfix/aliases
      alias_maps = dbm:/etc/opt/adnpostfix/aliases dbm:/etc/opt/adnpostfix/aliases_users dbm:/etc/opt/adnpostfix/aliases_subscribr
      allow_mail_to_commands = alias
      allow_mail_to_files = alias
      command_directory = /opt/adnpostfix/sbin
      config_directory = /etc/opt/adnpostfix
      daemon_directory = /opt/adnpostfix/libexec
      debug_peer_level = 2
      expand_owner_alias = yes
      forward_path = /etc/opt/adnpostfix/forward/$user
      html_directory = no
      inet_interfaces = all
      local_recipient_maps = $alias_maps $virtual_alias_maps
      mail_owner = postfix
      mailbox_size_limit = 0
      mailbox_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/spool/adnmail/cyrus/imap/socket/lmtp
      mailq_path = /opt/adnpostfix/sbin/mailq
      manpage_directory = /opt/adnpostfix/man
      masquerade_classes = envelope_sender, header_sender, header_recipient
      masquerade_domains = example.com
      message_size_limit = 209715200
      mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain $mydomain
      mydomain = example.com
      myhostname = mailserver.example.com
      mynetworks = 192.168.0.0/16, 127.0.0.0/8, 10.0.0.0/8
      myorigin = $mydomain
      newaliases_path = /opt/adnpostfix/sbin/newaliases
      queue_directory = /var/opt/adnpostfix
      readme_directory = no
      relocated_maps = dbm:/etc/opt/adnpostfix/relocated
      sendmail_path = /opt/adnpostfix/sbin/sendmail
      setgid_group = postdrop
      smtpd_sender_restrictions = check_sender_access dbm:/etc/opt/adnpostfix/access_sender, permit_mynetworks,
      permit_sasl_authenticated
      transport_maps = dbm:/etc/opt/adnpostfix/transport
      unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
      virtual_alias_domains = $virtual_alias_maps
      virtual_alias_maps = dbm:/etc/opt/adnpostfix/virtual
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
        Bernd Nies:
        > Hi,
        >
        > Our users have the following complaint about the Postfix behaviour: They write Emails to
        >
        > From: somebody@...
        > To: group1@..., group2@...
        >
        > The mailgroup is expanded with aliases to
        >
        > group1: user1, user2, user3, user4, user5
        > group2: user5, user6, user7

        Postfix has good performance because it delivers mail in parallel
        instead of one recipient at a time.

        Thus, Postfix delivers mail to group1 and group2 in parallel.
        This is not likely to change.

        Wietse

      • Sahil Tandon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 2, 2009
          On Jun 2, 2009, at 2:52 AM, Bernd Nies <listuser@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > Our users have the following complaint about the Postfix behaviour:
          > They write Emails to
          >
          > From: somebody@...
          > To: group1@..., group2@...
          >
          > The mailgroup is expanded with aliases to
          >
          > group1: user1, user2, user3, user4, user5
          > group2: user5, user6, user7
          >
          > Then user5 gets the same email twice in its inbox. We recently had
          > to migrate from Cyrus IMAP to Zimbra as backend mailserver and use
          > Postfix on our gateways and to manage all the thousands aliases and
          > special hacks because Zimbra is not flexible enough. In Cyrus IMAP
          > one could suppress double delivery to the same mailbox when a
          > message had the same Message-ID.
          >
          > I remember that Sendmail expanded all group aliases and stripped off
          > duplicate recipients. How can this done with Postfix? I googled for
          > that problem but did not find

          Postfix is the wrong place to solve this 'problem'; Zimbra can be
          configured to suppress duplicate Message IDs; see google or ask the
          Zimbra people for help.