Re: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY

  • Barney Desmond
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      2009/6/2 Just E. Mail <justemail@...>:
      > -------------
      > [root@rs1 Desktop]# rpm -Uvh postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm
      >
      > warning: postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
      > e9198f3d
      > error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
      > -------------
      >
      > In the past few days, I have downloaded this file and successfully compiled
      > it with links to other applications and completed the installation. Today, I
      > started out with a freshly installed LINUX CentOS 5.3 machine and got the
      > above error message.

      A fresh installation, there's your problem. You'll find that's two
      separate issues there, try reading the second one. The warning is just
      that, a warning.

      [root@rei tmp]# cd /tmp/

      [root@rei tmp]# wget -q
      http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.6/SRPMS/postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm

      [root@rei tmp]# rpm -Uvh postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm
      warning: postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
      ID e9198f3d
      error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

      [root@rei tmp]# ls -lh /usr/src/
      total 8.0K
      drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4.0K May 28 12:06 kernels

      [root@rei tmp]# mkdir -p /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

      [root@rei tmp]# rpm -Uvh postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm
      warning: postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
      ID e9198f3d
      1:postfix warning: user sjmudd does not exist - using root
      warning: group sjmudd does not exist - using root
      warning: user sjmudd does not exist - using root
      warning: group sjmudd does not exist - using root
      warning: user sjmudd does not exist - using root
      <LOTS MORE OF THIS>
      ########################################### [100%]

      [root@rei tmp]# ls -lh /usr/src/redhat/
      total 16K
      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun 2 02:07 SOURCES
      drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun 2 02:07 SPECS

      Yeah, this makes more sense if you've dealt with RPM packaging before,
      there's a handful of directories in a structure that relate to it.
    • Kaj Niemi
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        Hi,

        On Jun 1, 2009, at 19:12, Barney Desmond wrote:

        > Yeah, this makes more sense if you've dealt with RPM packaging
        > before, there's a handful of directories in a structure that relate
        > to it.

        <offtopic>
        Please consider compiling and building packages as a non-privileged
        user rather than as root. It will save you a lot of headache
        especially if something unexpected happens (install script screws up
        on directory where it's supposed to install). Using another directory
        structure, for example below your home dir (or anywhere else for that
        matter) is easy and you can set the directories in your .rpmrc
        and .rpmmacros files in your own home directory.

        For repeatable, consistent and auditable builds consider using mock or
        another tool which creates a dedicated build environment every time
        you build a package with a build environment that is "known good"
        </offtopic>

        :)

        Kaj
        --
        Kaj J. Niemi
        <kajtzu@...>
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
          2009/6/2 Kaj Niemi <kajtzu@...>:
          > <offtopic>
          > Please consider compiling and building packages as a non-privileged user
          > rather than as root. It will save you a lot of headache especially if
          > something unexpected happens (install script screws up on directory where
          > it's supposed to install). Using another directory structure, for example
          > below your home dir (or anywhere else for that matter) is easy and you can
          > set the directories in your .rpmrc and .rpmmacros files in your own home
          > directory.
          >
          > For repeatable, consistent and auditable builds consider using mock or
          > another tool which creates a dedicated build environment every time you
          > build a package with a build environment that is "known good"
          > </offtopic>

          Doing things safely to avoid shooting yourself in the foot is left as
          an exercise for the reader :)
          (yeah, this was an expendable system that was ideal for demonstration)