Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY

  • Just E. Mail
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
      I down loaded postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm from Simon Mudd's WEB site and
      started installation process. The first instruction (as listed by Simon
      Mudd) is as follows:

      -------------
      [root@rs1 Desktop]# rpm -Uvh postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm

      warning: postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
      e9198f3d
      error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
      -------------

      In the past few days, I have downloaded this file and successfully
      compiled it with links to other applications and completed the
      installation. Today, I started out with a freshly installed LINUX CentOS
      5.3 machine and got the above error message.

      I have researched the Internet and found lot of similar ERRORs but none
      to resolve this problem. In one message on the Internet it said that
      there was PGP(?) key missing and it needed to be downloaded. I have
      search Simon Mudd's WEB site to see if there is a for this file.
      Nothing. Since previously I have not run into this problem, I am
      wondering if I am doing something wrong.

      If anybody on this FORUM has run into this problem or know how to fix
      it, I really appreciate it.
    • Barney Desmond
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
        2009/6/2 Just E. Mail <justemail@...>:
        > -------------
        > [root@rs1 Desktop]# rpm -Uvh postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm
        >
        > warning: postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID
        > e9198f3d
        > error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
        > -------------
        >
        > In the past few days, I have downloaded this file and successfully compiled
        > it with links to other applications and completed the installation. Today, I
        > started out with a freshly installed LINUX CentOS 5.3 machine and got the
        > above error message.

        A fresh installation, there's your problem. You'll find that's two
        separate issues there, try reading the second one. The warning is just
        that, a warning.

        [root@rei tmp]# cd /tmp/

        [root@rei tmp]# wget -q
        http://ftp.wl0.org/official/2.6/SRPMS/postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm

        [root@rei tmp]# rpm -Uvh postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm
        warning: postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
        ID e9198f3d
        error: cannot create %sourcedir /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

        [root@rei tmp]# ls -lh /usr/src/
        total 8.0K
        drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4.0K May 28 12:06 kernels

        [root@rei tmp]# mkdir -p /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

        [root@rei tmp]# rpm -Uvh postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm
        warning: postfix-2.6.1-1.src.rpm: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key
        ID e9198f3d
        1:postfix warning: user sjmudd does not exist - using root
        warning: group sjmudd does not exist - using root
        warning: user sjmudd does not exist - using root
        warning: group sjmudd does not exist - using root
        warning: user sjmudd does not exist - using root
        <LOTS MORE OF THIS>
        ########################################### [100%]

        [root@rei tmp]# ls -lh /usr/src/redhat/
        total 16K
        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun 2 02:07 SOURCES
        drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4.0K Jun 2 02:07 SPECS

        Yeah, this makes more sense if you've dealt with RPM packaging before,
        there's a handful of directories in a structure that relate to it.
      • Kaj Niemi
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 1, 2009
          Hi,

          On Jun 1, 2009, at 19:12, Barney Desmond wrote:

          > Yeah, this makes more sense if you've dealt with RPM packaging
          > before, there's a handful of directories in a structure that relate
          > to it.

          <offtopic>
          Please consider compiling and building packages as a non-privileged
          user rather than as root. It will save you a lot of headache
          especially if something unexpected happens (install script screws up
          on directory where it's supposed to install). Using another directory
          structure, for example below your home dir (or anywhere else for that
          matter) is easy and you can set the directories in your .rpmrc
          and .rpmmacros files in your own home directory.

          For repeatable, consistent and auditable builds consider using mock or
          another tool which creates a dedicated build environment every time
          you build a package with a build environment that is "known good"
          </offtopic>

          :)

          Kaj
          --
          Kaj J. Niemi
          <kajtzu@...>
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 2, 2009
            2009/6/2 Kaj Niemi <kajtzu@...>:
            > <offtopic>
            > Please consider compiling and building packages as a non-privileged user
            > rather than as root. It will save you a lot of headache especially if
            > something unexpected happens (install script screws up on directory where
            > it's supposed to install). Using another directory structure, for example
            > below your home dir (or anywhere else for that matter) is easy and you can
            > set the directories in your .rpmrc and .rpmmacros files in your own home
            > directory.
            >
            > For repeatable, consistent and auditable builds consider using mock or
            > another tool which creates a dedicated build environment every time you
            > build a package with a build environment that is "known good"
            > </offtopic>

            Doing things safely to avoid shooting yourself in the foot is left as
            an exercise for the reader :)
            (yeah, this was an expendable system that was ideal for demonstration)