Re: Postfix doesn't create maildirs

    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2009
      Matthias Dietrich a écrit :

      > Am 02.05.2009 um 23:09 schrieb mouss:
      >> you need to create the /var/spool/mail/example.com directory. after
      >> that, postfix will create the maildir for each user.
      >
      > That doesn't work... If I create the domain directory, the dir for the
      > user won't be created either.

      did you send a message to the user?

      >> I am assuming that you deliver with virtual (and not with an external
      >> MDA).
      >
      > I'm a bit confused about what I use now... In main.cf is says:
      >
      > mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"

      this is for "local" users, not virtual users. if you don't want
      procmail, just remove this.

      > which was a default value after installation (note: it's a Ubuntu
      > system). In master.cf there are following lines:
      >
      > maildrop unix - n n - - pipe
      > flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}
      >
      > maildrop was not installed before. In the database tables I created
      > while going through the tutorial was a "transport" column which defaults
      > to "virtual:"; but I cannot see where this column is read. So...?

      what matters first is postfix configuration. you should always send us
      the output of 'postconf -n'.

      > Am 02.05.2009 um 23:34 schrieb LuKreme:
      >> send the welcome mail when you create the account in postfixadmin..
      >> The Maildirs are not created until a mail is delivered.
      >
      > Hell, yeah! That worked now! After I installed postfixadmin, the mail
      > sending process took so long that the apache crashed (no process lived
      > after submitting the form that should add new mailboxes :o!), so I
      > commented that thing out. Thanks for that hint... The domain folder is
      > created, too. Great :)!
      >
      > However that still doesn't make sense to me, that the "reader" (IMAP)
      > "crashes" when there is no directory and the writer (MDA) needs to
      > create the directory. If I don't want to send the welcome mail I have
      > to initiate the Maildir creation process on my own. What would be the
      > best way to do that? Using procmail oder maildrop?

      if you don't want to send a welcome message, then you need to create the
      Maildir when you add the user. because maildrop and procmail won't be
      run until a mail is received.

      instead, use a script to add users to your "database" and at the same
      time, create the necessary maildirs and folders.