Re: Postfix doesn't create maildirs

  • Matthias Dietrich
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2009
      Am 02.05.2009 um 23:09 schrieb mouss:
      > you need to create the /var/spool/mail/example.com directory. after
      > that, postfix will create the maildir for each user.

      That doesn't work... If I create the domain directory, the dir for
      the user won't be created either.

      > I am assuming that you deliver with virtual (and not with an
      > external MDA).

      I'm a bit confused about what I use now... In main.cf is says:

      which was a default value after installation (note: it's a Ubuntu
      system). In master.cf there are following lines:

      maildrop unix - n n - - pipe
      flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}

      maildrop was not installed before. In the database tables I created
      while going through the tutorial was a "transport" column which
      defaults to "virtual:"; but I cannot see where this column is read.
      So...?

      Am 02.05.2009 um 23:34 schrieb LuKreme:
      > send the welcome mail when you create the account in postfixadmin..
      > The Maildirs are not created until a mail is delivered.

      Hell, yeah! That worked now! After I installed postfixadmin, the
      mail sending process took so long that the apache crashed (no process
      lived after submitting the form that should add new mailboxes :o!), so
      I commented that thing out. Thanks for that hint... The domain
      folder is created, too. Great :)!

      However that still doesn't make sense to me, that the "reader" (IMAP)
      "crashes" when there is no directory and the writer (MDA) needs to
      create the directory. If I don't want to send the welcome mail I have
      to initiate the Maildir creation process on my own. What would be the
      best way to do that? Using procmail oder maildrop? Or is there a way
      without using another software?

      Thank you all that helped and mailed!

      Regards,
      Matthias
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2009
        Matthias Dietrich a écrit :

        > Am 02.05.2009 um 23:09 schrieb mouss:
        >> you need to create the /var/spool/mail/example.com directory. after
        >> that, postfix will create the maildir for each user.
        >
        > That doesn't work... If I create the domain directory, the dir for the
        > user won't be created either.

        did you send a message to the user?

        >> I am assuming that you deliver with virtual (and not with an external
        >> MDA).
        >
        > I'm a bit confused about what I use now... In main.cf is says:
        >
        > mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"

        this is for "local" users, not virtual users. if you don't want
        procmail, just remove this.

        > which was a default value after installation (note: it's a Ubuntu
        > system). In master.cf there are following lines:
        >
        > maildrop unix - n n - - pipe
        > flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}
        >
        > maildrop was not installed before. In the database tables I created
        > while going through the tutorial was a "transport" column which defaults
        > to "virtual:"; but I cannot see where this column is read. So...?

        what matters first is postfix configuration. you should always send us
        the output of 'postconf -n'.

        > Am 02.05.2009 um 23:34 schrieb LuKreme:
        >> send the welcome mail when you create the account in postfixadmin..
        >> The Maildirs are not created until a mail is delivered.
        >
        > Hell, yeah! That worked now! After I installed postfixadmin, the mail
        > sending process took so long that the apache crashed (no process lived
        > after submitting the form that should add new mailboxes :o!), so I
        > commented that thing out. Thanks for that hint... The domain folder is
        > created, too. Great :)!
        >
        > However that still doesn't make sense to me, that the "reader" (IMAP)
        > "crashes" when there is no directory and the writer (MDA) needs to
        > create the directory. If I don't want to send the welcome mail I have
        > to initiate the Maildir creation process on my own. What would be the
        > best way to do that? Using procmail oder maildrop?

        if you don't want to send a welcome message, then you need to create the
        Maildir when you add the user. because maildrop and procmail won't be
        run until a mail is received.

        instead, use a script to add users to your "database" and at the same
        time, create the necessary maildirs and folders.