Re: Postfix doesn't create maildirs

  • LuKreme
    Message 1 of 9 , May 2, 2009
      On 2-May-2009, at 14:05, Matthias Dietrich wrote:
      > I use Postfix with virtual mailboxes for virtual domain hosting.
      > Authentication is done with mysql, creating of new mailboxes is done
      > via postfixadmin. I add a new Domain (example.com) and Mailbox
      > (postmaster). Trying to log in after that brings the following
      > error in /var/log/syslog:
      >
      > imapd: chdir /var/spool/mail/example.com/postmaster/: No such file
      > or directory

      send the welcome mail when you create the account in postfixadmin..
      The Maildirs are not created until a mail is delivered.

      If you want to create them manually the command is maildirmake.

      --
      There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand
      binary and those who don't.
      Message 2 of 9 , May 2, 2009
        Matthias Dietrich wrote:
        > Am 02.05.2009 um 22:15 schrieb Darren Pilgrim:
        >> Mail store folder creation is the responsibility of your delivery
        >> agent, but you didn't state which delivery agent you're using.
        >
        > When going through the tutorial I didn't thought about MDAs, but as I
        > see now there is none described there. If there is no "default" one,
        > I missed that. A quick search said that maildrop would be a good
        > choice. Do you agree?

        You're using Courier-IMAP, so yes. Maildrop can execute external
        programs using backtick expansion, so you can easily create a
        system-wide maildroprc that checks for (and creates, if missing) a
        standard set of folders using Courier-IMAP's maildirmake program. If
        you want them, I still have the scripts I used before I switched to Dovecot.
      • Matthias Dietrich
        Message 3 of 9 , May 2, 2009
          Am 02.05.2009 um 23:09 schrieb mouss:
          > you need to create the /var/spool/mail/example.com directory. after
          > that, postfix will create the maildir for each user.

          That doesn't work... If I create the domain directory, the dir for
          the user won't be created either.

          > I am assuming that you deliver with virtual (and not with an
          > external MDA).

          I'm a bit confused about what I use now... In main.cf is says:

          which was a default value after installation (note: it's a Ubuntu
          system). In master.cf there are following lines:

          maildrop unix - n n - - pipe
          flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}

          maildrop was not installed before. In the database tables I created
          while going through the tutorial was a "transport" column which
          defaults to "virtual:"; but I cannot see where this column is read.
          So...?

          Am 02.05.2009 um 23:34 schrieb LuKreme:
          > send the welcome mail when you create the account in postfixadmin..
          > The Maildirs are not created until a mail is delivered.

          Hell, yeah! That worked now! After I installed postfixadmin, the
          mail sending process took so long that the apache crashed (no process
          lived after submitting the form that should add new mailboxes :o!), so
          I commented that thing out. Thanks for that hint... The domain
          folder is created, too. Great :)!

          However that still doesn't make sense to me, that the "reader" (IMAP)
          "crashes" when there is no directory and the writer (MDA) needs to
          create the directory. If I don't want to send the welcome mail I have
          to initiate the Maildir creation process on my own. What would be the
          best way to do that? Using procmail oder maildrop? Or is there a way
          without using another software?

          Thank you all that helped and mailed!

          Regards,
          Matthias
          Message 4 of 9 , May 2, 2009
            Matthias Dietrich a écrit :

            > Am 02.05.2009 um 23:09 schrieb mouss:
            >> you need to create the /var/spool/mail/example.com directory. after
            >> that, postfix will create the maildir for each user.
            >
            > That doesn't work... If I create the domain directory, the dir for the
            > user won't be created either.

            did you send a message to the user?

            >> I am assuming that you deliver with virtual (and not with an external
            >> MDA).
            >
            > I'm a bit confused about what I use now... In main.cf is says:
            >
            > mailbox_command = procmail -a "$EXTENSION"

            this is for "local" users, not virtual users. if you don't want
            procmail, just remove this.

            > which was a default value after installation (note: it's a Ubuntu
            > system). In master.cf there are following lines:
            >
            > maildrop unix - n n - - pipe
            > flags=DRhu user=vmail argv=/usr/bin/maildrop -d ${recipient}
            >
            > maildrop was not installed before. In the database tables I created
            > while going through the tutorial was a "transport" column which defaults
            > to "virtual:"; but I cannot see where this column is read. So...?

            what matters first is postfix configuration. you should always send us
            the output of 'postconf -n'.

            > Am 02.05.2009 um 23:34 schrieb LuKreme:
            >> send the welcome mail when you create the account in postfixadmin..
            >> The Maildirs are not created until a mail is delivered.
            >
            > Hell, yeah! That worked now! After I installed postfixadmin, the mail
            > sending process took so long that the apache crashed (no process lived
            > after submitting the form that should add new mailboxes :o!), so I
            > commented that thing out. Thanks for that hint... The domain folder is
            > created, too. Great :)!
            >
            > However that still doesn't make sense to me, that the "reader" (IMAP)
            > "crashes" when there is no directory and the writer (MDA) needs to
            > create the directory. If I don't want to send the welcome mail I have
            > to initiate the Maildir creation process on my own. What would be the
            > best way to do that? Using procmail oder maildrop?

            if you don't want to send a welcome message, then you need to create the
            Maildir when you add the user. because maildrop and procmail won't be
            run until a mail is received.

            instead, use a script to add users to your "database" and at the same
            time, create the necessary maildirs and folders.