Re: How to encrypt email?

  • Andrzej Adam Filip
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 27, 2009
      "Jeff Huang" <jbhuang@...> wrote:
      > I found the email files that are stored under the Maildir are clearly
      > code.
      >
      > If I am the administrator of the system,I can see all user's email
      > contents.
      >
      > Is there a method to encrypt the email files so that the administrator
      > can't see the email contents,even if he can read the files?

      I think you want public key encryption (one key to encrypt, another to
      decrypt) at receiving server before delivery to local mailbox/maildir.

      It can be done e.g. by making MTA (posfix) deliver to local mailboxes
      using procmail and calling "custom encryption script/program" from
      ~/.procmailrc.
      *BUT*
      system administrator (root) can get access to email before it is
      encrypted so MUA-MUA (sender's email client-recipient's email client)
      encryption it much safer/secure.

      --
      [pl>en: Andrew] Andrzej Adam Filip : anfi@...
      I found Rome a city of bricks and left it a city of marble.