Postfix address rewriting

  • Scott G. Lewis
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hi,

      We have a (messy) setup of two Barracuda spam appliances that send
      mail to an internal mail gateway that has a recipient table. From
      there, mail is delivered either to an Exchange server or a Zimbra
      Cluster depending on the user (we run Exchange for corporate employees
      and Zimbra for franchise employees). When I arrived, mail was flowing
      from a non Barracuda gateway (I brought in those appliances) directly
      to Exchange, which had a recipient policy that would send unrecognized
      mail to the Zimbra server. One of my tasks was to remove the reliance
      upon Exchange for our franchise users, so that downtime to Exchange
      wouldn't impact our franchisees.

      The gateway was my solution, since the Barracudas while wonderful
      devices are spam processors - not gateways, and have no support for
      this type of a split domain format.

      So this all works wonderful, and I run a script every 15 minutes that
      queries LDAP on both Zimbra and Active Directory to add any new users
      (and remove any closed accounts) to the transport table on the Postfix
      "gateway" (there are actually three gateways for load balancing
      purposes, and to have one in our DR facility.

      I recently was given a horrible mail archiving solution to implement
      (really cheap, really poor). Getting it to work was easy. Zimbra runs
      Postfix itself, so I use the always_bcc parameter to split off a copy
      of every message to the archiver. For the Exchange side, when you
      enable journaling, it sends the message as a system message (no
      envelope from) which this archiver IGNORES in an attempt not to
      archive DSNs or vacation auto responders. The vendor is unable
      (unwilling?) to change this behavior for us.

      So it occurs to me that the easy solution is to forward the journaled
      mail not from Exchange to the Archiver directly, but send it to these
      same gateways, and find a way to have Postfix rewrite the envelope
      sender from not having one to whatever the actual From: message header
      is, which will make the archiver happy, and validate our executive's
      decisions to give me a crappy archiver and not budget real money on
      this initiative. :)

      Unfortunately - I have NO clue how to do this - any pointers?
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
        To rewrite a null envelope address you will need to use an SMTP
        proxy (see FILTER_README for resources). Postfix does not query
        lookup tables with null strings because some tables return errors.