Logging Postfix Activity

  • Marky Yehezkiel (SNC)
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009

      Dear All,

      Is there any way to logging/record the activity pop3,IMAP when they deleted email via IMAP and POP3 ( outlook deleted email when outlook download it from server)

      I have problem when my customer he lost his email on my server he said he didn’t deleted his email, he set his outlook ‘leave copy on server’ without set when it will be removed from server, but old his email were gone.

      Anyone can help? Thank you

    • MacShane, Tracy
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
        Is there any way to logging/record the activity pop3,IMAP when
        they deleted email via IMAP and POP3 ( outlook deleted email when
        outlook download it from server)

        I have problem when my customer he lost his email on my server
        he said he didn't deleted his email, he set his outlook 'leave copy on
        server' without set when it will be removed from server, but old his
        email were gone.

        Anyone can help? Thank you

        ---------------------

        Postfix does not do POP or IMAP. You need to look at the configuration
        and logs for whatever is running those services, eg.
        Dovecot/Cyrus/Courier/whatever you're using.
      • Aaron Wolfe
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
          On Mon, Mar 30, 2009 at 9:53 PM, Marky Yehezkiel (SNC)
          <marky@...> wrote:
          > Dear All,
          >
          > Is there any way to logging/record the activity pop3,IMAP when they deleted
          > email via IMAP and POP3 ( outlook deleted email when outlook download it
          > from server)
          >

          > I have problem when my customer he lost his email on my server he said he
          > didn’t deleted his email, he set his outlook ‘leave copy on server’ without
          > set when it will be removed from server, but old his email were gone.
          >

          > Anyone can help? Thank you

          This is not a postfix issue. You might have better luck asking on a
          list for the pop server software you are using.
          Without knowing what pop server software you use, it is difficult to
          guess what the logs might contain.
          However, many pop server do log the number of messages deleted in a
          given transaction.

          Good luck
          Aaron
        • Marky Yehezkiel (SNC)
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
            Hi all,
            Thank you for the explanation, I use courier-imap, I will search it but if
            any one already know how to produce log activity courier imap it will great.

            Thank you

            <marky@...> wrote:
            > Dear All,
            >
            > Is there any way to logging/record the activity pop3,IMAP when they
            deleted
            > email via IMAP and POP3 ( outlook deleted email when outlook download it
            > from server)
            >

            > I have problem when my customer he lost his email on my server he said he
            > didn't deleted his email, he set his outlook 'leave copy on server'
            without
            > set when it will be removed from server, but old his email were gone.
            >

            > Anyone can help? Thank you

            This is not a postfix issue. You might have better luck asking on a
            list for the pop server software you are using.
            Without knowing what pop server software you use, it is difficult to
            guess what the logs might contain.
            However, many pop server do log the number of messages deleted in a
            given transaction.

            Good luck
            Aaron
          • Sahil Tandon
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
              On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Marky Yehezkiel (SNC) wrote:

              > Is there any way to logging/record the activity pop3,IMAP when they deleted
              > email via IMAP and POP3 ( outlook deleted email when outlook download it
              > from server)

              Yes.

              > I have problem when my customer he lost his email on my server he said he
              > didn't deleted his email, he set his outlook 'leave copy on server' without
              > set when it will be removed from server, but old his email were gone.
              >
              > Anyone can help? Thank you

              You are using Courier-IMAP; ask on the appropriate mailing list:

              Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
            • Marky Yehezkiel (SNC)
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 30, 2009
                Hi Sahil,
                Thank you for your help.

                On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Marky Yehezkiel (SNC) wrote:

                > Is there any way to logging/record the activity pop3,IMAP when they
                deleted
                > email via IMAP and POP3 ( outlook deleted email when outlook download it
                > from server)

                Yes.

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
                  Hi all,
                  I got info from courier imap mailing list that Dovecot able to answer what I
                  required.
                  Is it true? Does anyone has try this? Thank you

                  On Tue, 31 Mar 2009, Marky Yehezkiel (SNC) wrote:

                  > Is there any way to logging/record the activity pop3,IMAP when they
                  deleted
                  > email via IMAP and POP3 ( outlook deleted email when outlook download it
                  > from server)

                  Yes.

                  > I have problem when my customer he lost his email on my server he said he
                  > didn't deleted his email, he set his outlook 'leave copy on server'
                  without
                  > set when it will be removed from server, but old his email were gone.
                  >
                  > Anyone can help? Thank you

                  You are using Courier-IMAP; ask on the appropriate mailing list:

                  Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                • Ralf Hildebrandt
                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 31, 2009
                    * Marky Yehezkiel (SNC) <marky@...>:
                    > Hi all,
                    > I got info from courier imap mailing list that Dovecot able to answer what I
                    > required.

                    Yes

                    > Is it true?

                    Yes