Postfix tarball uninstall

  • Paul
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
      Hi,
      I had installed postfix from the tarball, but made some mistakes. So to be
      sure everything is correct I want to reinstall Postfix (probably from a
      package), so I first need to uninstall it. But there is no make
      uninstall/remove or some removal program, is there any way to uninstall it
      properly?

      greetings,
      Paul
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
        Paul:
        > Hi,
        > I had installed postfix from the tarball, but made some mistakes. So to be
        > sure everything is correct I want to reinstall Postfix (probably from a
        > package), so I first need to uninstall it. But there is no make
        > uninstall/remove or some removal program, is there any way to uninstall it
        > properly?

        The answer depends on whose tarball you have installed.

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
          On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 12:21:15PM +0100, Paul wrote:

          > I had installed postfix from the tarball, but made some mistakes. So to be
          > sure everything is correct I want to reinstall Postfix (probably from a
          > package), so I first need to uninstall it. But there is no make
          > uninstall/remove or some removal program, is there any way to uninstall it
          > properly?

          The "postfix-files" file found in $config_directory, or in the most
          recent versions of Postfix in $daemon_directory, contains a list of all
          the files that are installed when Postfix is instaled from source.

          "cd" to the directory that contains the "postfix-files" file and in
          a POSIX shell (ksh, bash, or "sh" on most systems) run:

          eval "$(postconf command_directory daemon_directory html_directory \
          mailq_path manpage_directory newaliases_path readme_directory \
          sendmail_path | sed -e 's/ = /=/; s,^,export ,')"
          perl -F: -lane '
          next if ($F[1] eq "d" || $F[5] =~ /o/); # directory or obsolete
          next unless $F[0] =~ m{^\$(\w+)}; # comment
          next unless defined($path = $ENV{$1}); # keep
          $F[0] =~ s/\$(\w+)/$path/; # expand;
          next unless (-l $F[0] || -f _); # link or file
          printf "%s\n", $F[0];
          ' postfix-files

          this will output the list of files to remove.

        • Paul
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
            On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:03:13 -0500 (EST), Wietse Venema wrote:

            > The answer depends on whose tarball you have installed.
            >
            > Wietse
            I've installed the source tarball from postfix.org
          • Paul
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
              On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:30:30 -0500, Victor Duchovni wrote:

              > The "postfix-files" file found in $config_directory, or in the most
              > recent versions of Postfix in $daemon_directory, contains a list of all
              > the files that are installed when Postfix is instaled from source.
              >
              > "cd" to the directory that contains the "postfix-files" file and in
              > a POSIX shell (ksh, bash, or "sh" on most systems) run:
              >
              > eval "$(postconf command_directory daemon_directory html_directory \
              > mailq_path manpage_directory newaliases_path readme_directory \
              > sendmail_path | sed -e 's/ = /=/; s,^,export ,')"
              > perl -F: -lane '
              > next if ($F[1] eq "d" || $F[5] =~ /o/); # directory or obsolete
              > next unless $F[0] =~ m{^\$(\w+)}; # comment
              > next unless defined($path = $ENV{$1}); # keep
              > $F[0] =~ s/\$(\w+)/$path/; # expand;
              > next unless (-l $F[0] || -f _); # link or file
              > printf "%s\n", $F[0];
              > ' postfix-files
              >
              > this will output the list of files to remove.

              That will only list the files which are installed, but it also configures
              FreeBSD to use it as it's MTA, that will not be uninstalled by just
              removing to files I guess.
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 05:37:00PM +0100, Paul wrote:

                > On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 09:30:30 -0500, Victor Duchovni wrote:
                >
                > > The "postfix-files" file found in $config_directory, or in the most
                > > recent versions of Postfix in $daemon_directory, contains a list of all
                > > the files that are installed when Postfix is instaled from source.
                > >
                > > "cd" to the directory that contains the "postfix-files" file and in
                > > a POSIX shell (ksh, bash, or "sh" on most systems) run:
                > >
                > > eval "$(postconf command_directory daemon_directory html_directory \
                > > mailq_path manpage_directory newaliases_path readme_directory \
                > > sendmail_path | sed -e 's/ = /=/; s,^,export ,')"
                > > perl -F: -lane '
                > > next if ($F[1] eq "d" || $F[5] =~ /o/); # directory or obsolete
                > > next unless $F[0] =~ m{^\$(\w+)}; # comment
                > > next unless defined($path = $ENV{$1}); # keep
                > > $F[0] =~ s/\$(\w+)/$path/; # expand;
                > > next unless (-l $F[0] || -f _); # link or file
                > > printf "%s\n", $F[0];
                > > ' postfix-files
                > >
                > > this will output the list of files to remove.
                >
                > That will only list the files which are installed, but it also configures
                > FreeBSD to use it as it's MTA, that will not be uninstalled by just
                > removing to files I guess.

                The Postfix "tarball" from "postfix.org" does not do any such thing. Which
                "it" did you have in mind?

              • J.P. Trosclair
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                  Paul wrote:
                  > That will only list the files which are installed, but it also configures
                  > FreeBSD to use it as it's MTA, that will not be uninstalled by just
                  > removing to files I guess.

                  That should be easy to deal with. These settings are changed in a file
                  called mailer.conf.

                  Here's the documentation from FreeBSD on the topic:
                  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/mail-changingmta.html
                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                    >The Postfix "tarball" from "postfix.org" does not do any such thing. Which
                    >"it" did you have in mind?

                    It putted itself in some weird manner in my startup.

                    >That should be easy to deal with. These settings are changed in a file
                    >called mailer.conf.

                    I already changed that, but still it gotten booten up from my system
                    I've set all sendmail startup scripts to no, so it doesn't start anything,
                    completely no sendmail isn't an option too
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 5, 2009
                      On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 06:58:35PM +0100, Paul wrote:

                      > >The Postfix "tarball" from "postfix.org" does not do any such thing. Which
                      > >"it" did you have in mind?
                      >
                      > It putted itself in some weird manner in my startup.
                      >
                      > >That should be easy to deal with. These settings are changed in a file
                      > >called mailer.conf.
                      >
                      > I already changed that, but still it gotten booten up from my system
                      > I've set all sendmail startup scripts to no, so it doesn't start anything,
                      > completely no sendmail isn't an option too

                      Well you de-installed Postfix, the rest is up to you. Install a new MTA of
                      your choice, perhaps another version of Postfix, perhaps something else.