Re: virtual_mailbox_limit

    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
      LuKreme wrote:
      > The postfix docs say:
      >
      > virtual_mailbox_limit (default: 51200000)
      > The maximal size in bytes of an individual mailbox or maildir file, or
      > zero (no limit)
      > but since a maildir is a directory, does this limit apply to an
      > individual email (a file in the maildir) or to the directory size of the
      > entire maildir?

      With a maildir, the mailbox limit applies per file (per
      message), and postfix will not impose a limit on the total
      storage used.

      -- Noel Jones
    • LuKreme
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
        On Mar 3, 2009, at 9:38, Noel Jones <njones@...> wrote:

        > LuKreme wrote:
        >> The postfix docs say:
        >> virtual_mailbox_limit (default: 51200000)
        >> The maximal size in bytes of an individual mailbox or maildir
        >> file, or zero (no limit)
        >> but since a maildir is a directory, does this limit apply to an
        >> individual email (a file in the maildir) or to the directory size
        >> of the entire maildir?
        >
        > With a maildir, the mailbox limit applies per file (per message),
        > and postfix will not impose a limit on the total storage used.

        OK. Then this setting is largely useless if the number is >= to the
        maximum message size, right?

        Or does that restriction not apply to virtual_*?

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
          LuKreme wrote:

          > On Mar 3, 2009, at 9:38, Noel Jones <njones@...> wrote:
          >
          >> LuKreme wrote:
          >>> The postfix docs say:
          >>> virtual_mailbox_limit (default: 51200000)
          >>> The maximal size in bytes of an individual mailbox or maildir file,
          >>> or zero (no limit)
          >>> but since a maildir is a directory, does this limit apply to an
          >>> individual email (a file in the maildir) or to the directory size of
          >>> the entire maildir?
          >>
          >> With a maildir, the mailbox limit applies per file (per message), and
          >> postfix will not impose a limit on the total storage used.
          >
          > OK. Then this setting is largely useless if the number is >= to the
          > maximum message size, right?

          Right.

          -- Noel Jones
        • Barney Desmond
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2009
            2009/3/4 LuKreme <kremels@...>:
            >>>  virtual_mailbox_limit (default: 51200000)
            >
            > OK. Then this setting is largely useless if the number is >= to the maximum
            > message size, right?

            Indeed. I was playing with this recently, and Postfix complains if
            it's set below message_size_limit (ie. there's the possibility a
            single message could exceed this limit). For what it's worth, I tried
            setting virtual_mailbox_limit a little higher than message_size_limit
            and it was behaving a little erratically too (in a virtual mailbox
            config). You'll need to find another way to have quotas on maildirs.