sending email with Gnus

  • Byung-Hee HWANG
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
      Hello,

      As far as i know, Postfix does not support GNU TLS.
      Nevertheless! Is it possible sending email with Gnus (MUA) via Postfix
      (MTA)? In the future, i'll move to Gnus from Thundirbird. For now, only
      problem is an association with Postfix and GNU TLS.

      byunghee
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
        Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > As far as i know, Postfix does not support GNU TLS.
        > Nevertheless! Is it possible sending email with Gnus (MUA) via Postfix
        > (MTA)? In the future, i'll move to Gnus from Thundirbird. For now, only
        > problem is an association with Postfix and GNU TLS.
        >
        > byunghee

        Don't confuse library incompatibility when building postfix
        with communication interoperability problems.

        Gnus should communicate fine with postfix.

        -- Noel Jones
      • LuKreme
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
          On 1-Mar-2009, at 18:55, Byung-Hee HWANG wrote:
          > Postfix does not support GNU TLS.

          Postfix does not 'support' TLS at all. It should work with Gnu TLS as
          well as with any other TLS library.

          --
          Beware of the Leopard!
        • Ralf Hildebrandt
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 1, 2009
            * LuKreme <kremels@...>:

            > Postfix does not 'support' TLS at all.

            I wouldn't say it that way. STARTTLS looks like TLS support, if you
            ask me

            > It should work with Gnu TLS as well as with any other TLS library.

            As far as I knwo it doesn't :)

            --
            Ralf Hildebrandt (Ralf.Hildebrandt@...) snickebo@...
            http://www.arschkrebs.de
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
              Ralf Hildebrandt:
              > * LuKreme <kremels@...>:
              >
              > > Postfix does not 'support' TLS at all.
              >
              > I wouldn't say it that way. STARTTLS looks like TLS support, if you
              > ask me
              >
              > > It should work with Gnu TLS as well as with any other TLS library.
              >
              > As far as I knwo it doesn't :)

              A couple years ago, Gnu TLS would exit the program (exit status 2)
              instead of reporting an error to Postfix, so that Postfix could
              switch to plaintext where appropriate.

              http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#build_tls

              Wietse
            • Ralf Hildebrandt
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                * Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:

                > A couple years ago, Gnu TLS would exit the program (exit status 2)
                > instead of reporting an error to Postfix, so that Postfix could
                > switch to plaintext where appropriate.
                >
                > http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#build_tls

                Should I retry a build with GNUTLS?

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 2, 2009
                  Ralf Hildebrandt:
                  > * Wietse Venema <wietse@...>:
                  >
                  > > A couple years ago, Gnu TLS would exit the program (exit status 2)
                  > > instead of reporting an error to Postfix, so that Postfix could
                  > > switch to plaintext where appropriate.
                  > >
                  > > http://www.postfix.org/TLS_README.html#build_tls
                  >
                  > Should I retry a build with GNUTLS?

                  Apparently this library freaks out when there's no /dev/*random,
                  so this is a double idiot problem.

                  Idiot #1: GnuTLS library calls exit instead of allowing applications
                  such as Postfix to provide randomness. Postfix provides randomness
                  via a tlsmgr daemon that runs outside the chroot jail and that has
                  access to /dev/*random.

                  Idiot #2: Linux distro turns on CHROOT by default, but provides no
                  /dev/*random.

                  You're welcome to reproduce this.

                  Wietse
                • Baghwant
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
                    Hi ,
                    Can u tell me how can block particular machine or email ID
                    to send mail to any outer domain except local domain. Mean one user of
                    ur domain can only send mail locally,

                    Thx in advance
                    Waiting for reply

                    DISCLAIMER

                    This message(including any attachments) contains confidential information intended for a
                    specific individual and purpose,and is protected by law. If you have received it by mistake
                    please notify the sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
                    unauthorised use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited.
                    Please note that e-mails are susceptible to change. Eon Infotech Limited shall not be liable
                    for the improper or incomplete transmission.
                  • Sahil Tandon
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 3, 2009
                      On Tue, 03 Mar 2009, Baghwant wrote:

                      > Can u tell me how can block particular machine or email ID
                      > to send mail to any outer domain except local domain. Mean one user of
                      > ur domain can only send mail locally,

                      Sahil Tandon <sahil@...>
                    • Baghwant