Limit no of messages per relayhost

  • Jack Knowlton
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hi all.
      I have an postfix installation configured to use my ISP's server as
      relayhost.
      I don't want to put too much load on it (and get blacklisted) so I'd like
      to limit the number of messages sent per minute.
      I found previous posts on how to do that per destination domain - but how
      about the relayhost?
      Thanks

      -JK
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 31, 2009
        Jack Knowlton:
        > Hi all.
        > I have an postfix installation configured to use my ISP's server as
        > relayhost.
        > I don't want to put too much load on it (and get blacklisted) so I'd like
        > to limit the number of messages sent per minute.
        > I found previous posts on how to do that per destination domain - but how
        > about the relayhost?

        Postfix is short-sighted. It thinks only one step ahead. The
        relayhost *IS* the destination, for the purposes of connection
        scheduling.

        Wietse
      • Jack Knowlton
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
          On Sat, January 31, 2009 3:01 pm, Wietse Venema wrote:
          > Jack Knowlton:
          >> Hi all.
          >> I have an postfix installation configured to use my ISP's server as
          >> relayhost.
          >> I don't want to put too much load on it (and get blacklisted) so I'd
          >> like
          >> to limit the number of messages sent per minute.
          >> I found previous posts on how to do that per destination domain - but
          >> how
          >> about the relayhost?
          >
          > Postfix is short-sighted. It thinks only one step ahead. The
          > relayhost *IS* the destination, for the purposes of connection
          > scheduling.
          >
          > Wietse

          Ok. I configured *_destination_concurrency_limit but I was looking for
          something time-defined, like messages per minute.
          Is it possible to achieve?

          -JK
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 1, 2009
            Jack Knowlton:
            > On Sat, January 31, 2009 3:01 pm, Wietse Venema wrote:
            > > Jack Knowlton:
            > >> Hi all.
            > >> I have an postfix installation configured to use my ISP's server as
            > >> relayhost.
            > >> I don't want to put too much load on it (and get blacklisted) so I'd
            > >> like
            > >> to limit the number of messages sent per minute.
            > >> I found previous posts on how to do that per destination domain - but
            > >> how
            > >> about the relayhost?
            > >
            > > Postfix is short-sighted. It thinks only one step ahead. The
            > > relayhost *IS* the destination, for the purposes of connection
            > > scheduling.
            > >
            > > Wietse
            > >

            > Ok. I configured *_destination_concurrency_limit but I was looking for
            > something time-defined, like messages per minute.
            > Is it possible to achieve?

            http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#default_destination_rate_delay

            The Postfix defaults are:

            default_destination_rate_delay = 0s
            lmtp_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
            local_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
            relay_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
            smtp_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay
            virtual_destination_rate_delay = $default_destination_rate_delay

            You can override these in main.cf.