Re: XCLIENT question

    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 29, 2009
      Geert Hendrickx a écrit :
      > On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:22:13PM +0100, mouss wrote:
      >> Jan 29 00:38:17 imlil postmx/smtpd[26222]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
      >> unknown[147.203.208.166]: 550 5.7.1 Client host rejected: cannot find
      >> your hostname, [147.203.208.166];
      >> from=<3ff.4.69709687-17084985@...> to=<mouss@...>
      >> proto=ESMTP helo=<redirector-vm01-evip-aol.CherryImprovise.com>
      >>
      >> => as you can see, reject_unknown_client rejects this even if it has a
      >> PTR.
      >

      > In legitimate cases, I've experienced that this response ("cannot find your
      > hostname", which is the same response as if there was no PTR at all) can be
      > confusing for the administrator on the client side.

      In this particular case, this is irrelevant (as I said, I only do the
      check because the sender address hits a rule to catch snowshoe spam).
      but I guess you are talking about a general case.

      > Perhaps something like
      > "your reverse hostname doesn't match your IP" would be more informative (so
      > they don't have to contact us to ask what it means) ?

      Whatever the text you set, you'll find people that don't understand it ;-p

      you could use a URL to provide "more infos" (including a whitelisting
      form), but even then, there is no guarantee that the text will be shown
      as is to the user (the MUA or exchange or whatever can rewrite the text).