Re: issue connecting to mysql after upgrade

  • Terry Carmen
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
      Terry Carmen wrote:

      > Jeff Weinberger wrote:
      >> Hello again:
      >>
      >> One more issue on which I would appreciate any help anyone can offer:
      >>
      >> Yesterday I upgraded my postfix installation from 2.5.2 to 2.5.5 and
      >> my MySQL installation from 5.0.51b to 5.0.75. Immediately after
      >> restarting everything (the whole computer), I started seeing these
      >> messages in my mail log:
      >>
      >> Jan 1 09:48:35 s postfix/smtpd[13199]: warning: connect to
      >> mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
      >> socket '/tmp' (38)
      >> Jan 1 09:48:35 s postfix/cleanup[13201]: warning: connect to
      >> mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
      >> socket '/tmp' (38)
      >> Jan 1 09:48:42 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[13205]: warning:
      >> connect to mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL
      >> server through socket '/tmp'
      >
      >> (38)Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp'
      > /tmp isn't a socket, it's a directory.
      >
      > Run:
      >
      > mysql --xml -uroot -p -e "SHOW VARIABLES WHERE Variable_name = 'socket';"
      >
      > to see where mysql has it's socket, then make sure that postfix is
      > looking for it there, or move the socket, or switch postfix and MySQL
      > to use a TCP socket.
      >
      > If you're running chroot'ed the socket needs to be where postfix can
      > find it.
      >
      > Terry

      Sorry about the --xml. Although it doesn't hurt anything, you don't
      really need it.

      In any event, if you're getting the error messages, I don't see how
      postfix can be using mysql.

      Terry
    • Jeff Weinberger
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
        On Jan 1, 2009, at 4:53 PM, mouss wrote:

        > Jeff Weinberger a écrit :
        >>> [snip]
        >>>
        >>> - try with "hosts = 127.0.0.1" (without "localhost")
        >>
        >> Tried this - no change. :(
        >>

        > ahem. if you do this, you should not hear about a socket. it should
        > use
        > a TCP connection. can you show the errors?

        OK, now I've taken out the localhost again and there's no more
        complaining. (not sure why It continued complaining last time...)

        This is not a postfix issue. This is clearly a MySQL socket issue. I'm
        pursuing this on the MySQL lists.

        Thank you!