Re: issue connecting to mysql after upgrade

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
      Jeff Weinberger a écrit :
      >> [snip]
      >>
      >> - try with "hosts = 127.0.0.1" (without "localhost")
      >
      > Tried this - no change. :(

      ahem. if you do this, you should not hear about a socket. it should use
      a TCP connection. can you show the errors?

      > [snip]
      >>
      >> why do use sender_canonical instead of canonical? rewrite should be
      >> consistent, and "your sender is the recipient's recipient"...
      >>

      > This is mostly because I use maildrop as the virtual delivery agent for
      > many of the virtual mailboxes. I'm really just testing this, and may end
      > up using canonical instead. But here's my thinking:
      >
      > I have one user who wants a minor change - sounds silly, but gives me a
      > good chance to experiment/learn. I'm rewriting the one address to a
      > specific capitalization. I know I'll be doing more with more users soon.
      >
      > I want to rewrite when mail goes to someone outside my postfix install.
      > canonical_maps would also rewrite inbound mail to that address, which is
      > not bad, but not the desired behavior.
      >
      > So I am trying sender_canonical_maps to get the behavior I want.

      Then you may want to use smtp_generic_maps instead of canonical.
    • Jeff Weinberger
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
        On Jan 1, 2009, at 4:53 PM, mouss wrote:

        > Jeff Weinberger a écrit :
        >>> [snip]
        >>>
        >>> - try with "hosts = 127.0.0.1" (without "localhost")
        >>
        >> Tried this - no change. :(
        >>

        > ahem. if you do this, you should not hear about a socket. it should
        > use
        > a TCP connection. can you show the errors?

        I would think so also.

        I'm at a loss here, but I think this is no longer a problem. i was
        able to turn on very verbose logging in mysql, and it turns out that
        all the queries are in fact being made.

        I also have to confess to a bit of stupidity about my own ability to
        hold enough configuration information in my head (making postfix much
        smarter than I am!). I have dspam set to filter all mail both inbound
        and outbound (this has to change, but served the purpose when I
        initially set it up. And to stop multiply always_bcc results,
        specified "-o receive_override_options=no_address_mappings" in the
        master.cf entry for re-injection. the pipe to dspam is case-folding
        and then the sender_canonical_maps are being ignored. I didn't event
        think to look at this as a reason canonical was failing.

        I apologize sincerely for taking so much time and effort to get here
        and for leading you down this path. But still I appreciate the help.
        This will help me clean up this set of configuration issues.

        As to the warnings, I still don't know. Everything seems to be
        working, but issuing warnings.

        Here are a bunch of the errors - from more reading I think the key is
        in the (38) which I think(??) is a postfix error code...is it? do you
        know what it means?:

        Jan 1 17:00:33 s postfix/smtpd[21502]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:00:33 s postfix/cleanup[21517]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:06:33 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[21546]: warning: connect to
        mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
        socket '/tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:06:34 s postfix/smtpd[21544]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:06:34 s postfix/cleanup[21547]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:09:42 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[21582]: warning: connect to
        mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
        socket '/tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:09:42 s postfix/smtpd[21581]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:09:42 s postfix/cleanup[21583]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:09:45 s postfix/local[21587]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:09:58 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[21592]: warning: connect to
        mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
        socket '/tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:11:50 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[21624]: warning: connect to
        mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
        socket '/tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:11:50 s postfix/smtpd[21623]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:11:50 s postfix/cleanup[21625]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:15:46 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[21648]: warning: connect to
        mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
        socket '/tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:15:49 s postfix/smtpd[21646]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:15:49 s postfix/cleanup[21649]: warning: connect to mysql
        server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/
        tmp' (38)
        Jan 1 17:19:10 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[21675]: warning: connect to
        mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
        socket '/tmp' (38)

        >> [snip]
        >>>
        >>> why do use sender_canonical instead of canonical? rewrite should be
        >>> consistent, and "your sender is the recipient's recipient"...
        >>>

        >> This is mostly because I use maildrop as the virtual delivery agent
        >> for
        >> many of the virtual mailboxes. I'm really just testing this, and
        >> may end
        >> up using canonical instead. But here's my thinking:
        >>
        >> I have one user who wants a minor change - sounds silly, but gives
        >> me a
        >> good chance to experiment/learn. I'm rewriting the one address to a
        >> specific capitalization. I know I'll be doing more with more users
        >> soon.
        >>
        >> I want to rewrite when mail goes to someone outside my postfix
        >> install.
        >> canonical_maps would also rewrite inbound mail to that address,
        >> which is
        >> not bad, but not the desired behavior.
        >>
        >> So I am trying sender_canonical_maps to get the behavior I want.
        >>

        > Then you may want to use smtp_generic_maps instead of canonical.

        Thank you - I will try that!! that helps! :)
      • Terry Carmen
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2009
          Terry Carmen wrote:

          > Jeff Weinberger wrote:
          >> Hello again:
          >>
          >> One more issue on which I would appreciate any help anyone can offer:
          >>
          >> Yesterday I upgraded my postfix installation from 2.5.2 to 2.5.5 and
          >> my MySQL installation from 5.0.51b to 5.0.75. Immediately after
          >> restarting everything (the whole computer), I started seeing these
          >> messages in my mail log:
          >>
          >> Jan 1 09:48:35 s postfix/smtpd[13199]: warning: connect to
          >> mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
          >> socket '/tmp' (38)
          >> Jan 1 09:48:35 s postfix/cleanup[13201]: warning: connect to
          >> mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL server through
          >> socket '/tmp' (38)
          >> Jan 1 09:48:42 s postfix/trivial-rewrite[13205]: warning:
          >> connect to mysql server localhost: Can't connect to local MySQL
          >> server through socket '/tmp'
          >
          >> (38)Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp'
          > /tmp isn't a socket, it's a directory.
          >
          > Run:
          >
          > mysql --xml -uroot -p -e "SHOW VARIABLES WHERE Variable_name = 'socket';"
          >
          > to see where mysql has it's socket, then make sure that postfix is
          > looking for it there, or move the socket, or switch postfix and MySQL
          > to use a TCP socket.
          >
          > If you're running chroot'ed the socket needs to be where postfix can
          > find it.
          >
          > Terry

          Sorry about the --xml. Although it doesn't hurt anything, you don't
          really need it.

          In any event, if you're getting the error messages, I don't see how
          postfix can be using mysql.

          Terry
        • Jeff Weinberger
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2009
            On Jan 1, 2009, at 4:53 PM, mouss wrote:

            > Jeff Weinberger a écrit :
            >>> [snip]
            >>>
            >>> - try with "hosts = 127.0.0.1" (without "localhost")
            >>
            >> Tried this - no change. :(
            >>

            > ahem. if you do this, you should not hear about a socket. it should
            > use
            > a TCP connection. can you show the errors?

            OK, now I've taken out the localhost again and there's no more
            complaining. (not sure why It continued complaining last time...)

            This is not a postfix issue. This is clearly a MySQL socket issue. I'm
            pursuing this on the MySQL lists.

            Thank you!