always_bcc

  • Márcio Luciano Donada
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
      Hi list,
      My e-mail server traffic is high (about 6.5 Gb / day) and are now
      requiring the use always_bcc now. Is there a parameter to avoid
      performance problems?
      --
      Márcio Luciano Donada <mdonada at auroraalimentos dot com dot br>
      Aurora Alimentos - Cooperativa Central Oeste Catarinense
      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
        On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 04:40:41PM -0200, M?rcio Luciano Donada wrote:

        > My e-mail server traffic is high (about 6.5 Gb / day) and are now
        > requiring the use always_bcc now. Is there a parameter to avoid
        > performance problems?

        You could set:

        good_performance_when_set_empty =

        (this is the default value).

        If you are looking to tune your installation for a specific workload,
        you need to ask a much more specific question, detailing that workload,
        your current configuration, performance measurements you have made,
        conclusions about critical resources (what runs out first CPU, Disk
        I/O ops, Network Bandwidth, ...) and your performance goals.

      • Márcio Luciano Donada
        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
          Victor Duchovni escreveu:
          > On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 04:40:41PM -0200, M?rcio Luciano Donada wrote:
          >
          >> My e-mail server traffic is high (about 6.5 Gb / day) and are now
          >> requiring the use always_bcc now. Is there a parameter to avoid
          >> performance problems?
          >
          > You could set:
          >
          > good_performance_when_set_empty =
          >
          > (this is the default value).
          >
          > If you are looking to tune your installation for a specific workload,
          > you need to ask a much more specific question, detailing that workload,
          > your current configuration, performance measurements you have made,
          > conclusions about critical resources (what runs out first CPU, Disk
          > I/O ops, Network Bandwidth, ...) and your performance goals.

          Victor, did not like its irony,

          I want to know whether there is parameters of involving itself directly
          with the always_bcc, because I do not want to disrupt the smooth running
          of the server, but the question is this same, why should I pass
          parameters of disk, network parameters, what interests me is whether
          there is something connected to always_bcc for performance or not, rest
          and take care of myself.

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
            On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 05:50:38PM -0200, M?rcio Luciano Donada wrote:

            > Victor Duchovni escreveu:
            > > On Tue, Dec 02, 2008 at 04:40:41PM -0200, M?rcio Luciano Donada wrote:
            > >
            > >> My e-mail server traffic is high (about 6.5 Gb / day) and are now
            > >> requiring the use always_bcc now. Is there a parameter to avoid
            > >> performance problems?
            > >
            > > You could set:
            > >
            > > good_performance_when_set_empty =
            > >
            > > (this is the default value).
            > >
            > > If you are looking to tune your installation for a specific workload,
            > > you need to ask a much more specific question, detailing that workload,
            > > your current configuration, performance measurements you have made,
            > > conclusions about critical resources (what runs out first CPU, Disk
            > > I/O ops, Network Bandwidth, ...) and your performance goals.
            > >

            > Victor, did not like its irony,
            >
            > I want to know whether there is parameters of involving itself directly
            > with the always_bcc, because I do not want to disrupt the smooth running
            > of the server, but the question is this same, why should I pass
            > parameters of disk, network parameters, what interests me is whether
            > there is something connected to always_bcc for performance or not, rest
            > and take care of myself.

            Always_bcc causes a message to get an additional recipient. This
            recipient is handled just as though the original sender specified
            that recipient when sending the message.

            Postfix delivers multi-recipient mail as efficiently as it can out
            of the box, but if a particular destination dominates all others,
            some tuning may be required for traffic to that destination
            (concurrency limits, process limits, timeouts, ...)

            Now tune your system to efficiently handle email where all messages have
            a fixed additional recipient directed to the transport/nexthop/mailbox/...
            that you have configured for the Bcc address.

          • Paweł Burzyński
            Message 5 of 24 , Nov 23, 2009
              how can i make copy custiom user mail
              because always_bcc = make copy all mails i need custiom copy of mail

              --
              Pozdrowienia,
              Paweł Burzyński
              Message 6 of 24 , Nov 23, 2009
                * Paweł Burzyński <tomii@...>:
                > how can i make copy custiom user mail
                > because always_bcc = make copy all mails i need custiom copy of mail

                postconf |grep bcc

                --
                Ralf Hildebrandt
                Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
                Message 7 of 24 , Nov 23, 2009
                  You can try to sender bcc maps and receipent bcc maps

                  Message 8 of 24 , Nov 23, 2009
                    Witam!

                    W liście datowanym 23 listopada 2009 (14:22:45) napisano:

                    > * Paweł Burzyński <tomii@...>:
                    >> how can i make copy custiom user mail
                    >> because always_bcc = make copy all mails i need custiom copy of mail

                    > postconf |grep bcc

                    I anderstand that command always_bcc and this work properly
                    but i need solution for custiom copy of my users mail
                    always_bcc copy all mails from server but i need select custiom
                    users

                    --
                    Pozdrowienia,
                    Paweł Burzyński
                    Message 9 of 24 , Nov 23, 2009
                      * Paweł Burzyński <tomii@...>:

                      > > postconf |grep bcc
                      >

                      > I anderstand that command always_bcc and this work properly
                      > but i need solution for custiom copy of my users mail
                      > always_bcc copy all mails from server but i need select custiom
                      > users

                      What is the output of "postconf |grep bcc"

                      --
                      Ralf Hildebrandt
                      Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
                      Campus Benjamin Franklin
                      Hindenburgdamm 30 | D-12203 Berlin
                      Tel. +49 30 450 570 155 | Fax: +49 30 450 570 962
                    • Alfredo Saldanha
                      Message 10 of 24 , Aug 7, 2012
                        Hi there,

                        I'm trying to implement always_bcc to send a copy of all received messages to another server.
                        My idea is disable any notification messages back in the second server (if something goes wrong) and discard all messages after received.
                        This way is like the "clean" solution to ensure that the always_bcc destination never bounces or refuses a message.
                        It seems weird, but is only a test that I need to do.

                        1st problem: aways_bcc is not working.
                        2nd problem: I have no idea how to disable notification messages.

                        My main.cf: http://dpaste.com/782638/
                        My master.cf: http://dpaste.com/782639/

                        Thank you.
                      • Fernando Maior
                        Message 11 of 24 , Aug 8, 2012
                          Hi Saldanha,

                          As per your config file:
                          Maybe I am guessing wrong, but I believe you are trying to deliver the
                          allways_bcc messages to a domain that is hosted by the server
                          labmail.temp.com; if that is the case, I sugest you should try one
                          of these things:
                          1. configure allways_bcc to a domain that is hosted at the other server; or
                          2. configure /etc/postfix/transport to send mail posted to test@... to the other server.
                          The second sugestion is my first choice of procedure. You may have
                          a look at the transport table doc at http://www.postfix.org/transport.5.html

                          Fernando Maior

                          Message 12 of 24 , Aug 14, 2012
                            Thank you, but how about to disable bounce messages?

                            De: "Fernando Maior" <fernando.souto.maior@...>
                            Para: "Alfredo Saldanha" <asaldanha@...>
                            Cc: "postfix-users" <postfix-users@...>
                            Enviadas: Quarta-feira, 8 de Agosto de 2012 21:12:59
                            Assunto: Re: always_bcc

                            Message 13 of 24 , Aug 14, 2012
                              Hello Alfredo,

                              I would do that if I would not like my users to know they are being
                              tracked... I just looked at the docs and see nothing that can help
                              you doing that.

                              If you mean to have the second server only for the always_bcc
                              account, you may change the postfix code in order to not send
                              bounce messages and install it in the second server. Not easy
                              task, sure...

                              May be you should look at the source for bounce service daemon.

                              Best regards,
                              ---
                              Fernando Maior

                              Message 14 of 24 , Aug 14, 2012
                                Thank you Fernando,

                                Just to clarify, this is a test.
                                Of course that I like my users. =)
                                In my email server everybody receives the bounce messages.
                                As I said, it is a "clean" solution to ensure that the always_bcc destination never bounces or refuses a message.
                                But in real even my always or receive_bcc are not working. I don't know why. =(
                                Using transport is not my case, because transport is to redirect the message (I'd like to generate a copy of a message to another server).

                                Any help is welcome.

                                De: "Fernando Maior" <fernando.souto.maior@...>
                                Para: "Alfredo Saldanha" <asaldanha@...>
                                Cc: "postfix-users" <postfix-users@...>
                                Enviadas: Terça-feira, 14 de Agosto de 2012 13:33:32

                                Message 15 of 24 , Aug 14, 2012
                                  Fernando Maior:
                                  > Hello Alfredo,
                                  >
                                  > I would do that if I would not like my users to know they are being
                                  > tracked... I just looked at the docs and see nothing that can help
                                  > you doing that.
                                  >
                                  > If you mean to have the second server only for the always_bcc
                                  > account, you may change the postfix code in order to not send
                                  > bounce messages and install it in the second server. Not easy
                                  > task, sure...
                                  >
                                  > May be you should look at the source for bounce service daemon.

                                  Or look for Victor's description of a mail stream duplicator. The
                                  purpose was to archive all mail. It was implemented (I think with
                                  Net::SMTP) as a content filter that duplicated all input lines to
                                  a secondary stream for archival. The trick was to send the final
                                  "." to the primary stream only after delivery to the secondary
                                  stream was successful, otherwise it would report a temporary error.

                                  Such a content filter might even be deployed as smtpd_proxy_filter;
                                  it should not be more than a few dozen lines of code.

                                  Message 16 of 24 , Aug 14, 2012
                                    On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:46:46PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

                                    > > May be you should look at the source for bounce service daemon.
                                    >
                                    > Or look for Victor's description of a mail stream duplicator. The
                                    > purpose was to archive all mail. It was implemented (I think with
                                    > Net::SMTP) as a content filter that duplicated all input lines to
                                    > a secondary stream for archival.

                                    The implementation was in Perl, but I did not use Net::SMTP, I
                                    wanted something cleaner and more robust, so I ultimately wrote
                                    my own SMTP I/O interface for Perl. A trivial example was:

                                    my $s = MS::SMTP::Connect($addr, $port, 30);
                                    eval {
                                    # Wait for 2XX banner or throw 4XX/5XX exception
                                    my $banner = $s->Hear(2);
                                    $s->Timeout(300);
                                    $s->Say("EHLO $hostname\r\n");
                                    my $ehlo_resp = $s->Hear(2);
                                    # Assume pipelining
                                    $s->Say("MAIL FROM:<$sender>\r\n");
                                    $s->Say("RCPT TO:<$rcpt>\r\n");
                                    $s->Say("DATA\r\n");
                                    $s->Hear(2); # 2XX
                                    $s->Hear(2); # 2XX
                                    $s->Hear(3); # 3XX
                                    $s->Xfer($msgbody);
                                    $s->Say(".\r\n");
                                    $s->Say("QUIT");
                                    $s->Timeout(600);
                                    $s->Hear(2);
                                    };
                                    if ($@) {
                                    # Handle exception
                                    }
                                    # Delivery is complete

                                    I found this much easier to work with than Net::SMTP, but the idea
                                    is the same.

                                    > The trick was to send the final
                                    > "." to the primary stream only after delivery to the secondary
                                    > stream was successful, otherwise it would report a temporary error.
                                    >
                                    > Such a content filter might even be deployed as smtpd_proxy_filter;
                                    > it should not be more than a few dozen lines of code.

                                    Indeed an archive-only filter is fairly short. In my case it MIME
                                    encapsulates the archive copy with the original message as an
                                    attachment and the envelope as the body. This is easy since a message
                                    attachment is just:

                                    | Outer-Headers:
                                    |
                                    | --mumble
                                    |
                                    | Message envelope here
                                    |
                                    | --mumble

                                    Original Message body here.

                                    | --mumble--
                                    .

                                    Thus all that is required is to send the lines marked with a leading
                                    "|" just before and just after the unmodified message. The envelope
                                    is naturally also different for the archive stream, the recipient
                                    is the archive destination and the sender is either empty or a
                                    special mailbox for processing archive bounces (that should never
                                    happen) since I always ensure archive deliveries soft-bounce.

                                  • Alfredo Saldanha
                                    Message 17 of 24 , Aug 14, 2012
                                      Nice, thank you guys.

                                      De: "Viktor Dukhovni" <postfix-users@...>
                                      Para: postfix-users@...
                                      Enviadas: Terça-feira, 14 de Agosto de 2012 14:18:04

                                      On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:46:46PM -0400, Wietse Venema wrote:

                                      > > May be you should look at the source for bounce service daemon.
                                      >
                                      > Or look for Victor's description of a mail stream duplicator.  The
                                      > purpose was to archive all mail. It was implemented (I think with
                                      > Net::SMTP) as a content filter that duplicated all input lines to
                                      > a secondary stream for archival.

                                      The implementation was in Perl, but I did not use Net::SMTP, I
                                      wanted something cleaner and more robust, so I ultimately wrote
                                      my own SMTP I/O interface for Perl. A trivial example was:

                                        my $s = MS::SMTP::Connect($addr, $port, 30);
                                        eval {
                                          # Wait for 2XX banner or throw 4XX/5XX exception
                                          my $banner = $s->Hear(2);
                                          $s->Timeout(300);
                                          $s->Say("EHLO $hostname\r\n");
                                          my $ehlo_resp = $s->Hear(2);
                                          # Assume pipelining
                                          $s->Say("MAIL FROM:<$sender>\r\n");
                                          $s->Say("RCPT TO:<$rcpt>\r\n");
                                          $s->Say("DATA\r\n");
                                          $s->Hear(2); # 2XX
                                          $s->Hear(2); # 2XX
                                          $s->Hear(3); # 3XX
                                          $s->Xfer($msgbody);
                                          $s->Say(".\r\n");
                                          $s->Say("QUIT");
                                          $s->Timeout(600);
                                          $s->Hear(2);
                                        };
                                        if ($@) {
                                              # Handle exception
                                        }
                                        # Delivery is complete

                                      I found this much easier to work with than Net::SMTP, but the idea
                                      is the same.

                                      > The trick was to send the final
                                      > "." to the primary stream only after delivery to the secondary
                                      > stream was successful, otherwise it would report a temporary error.
                                      >
                                      > Such a content filter might even be deployed as smtpd_proxy_filter;
                                      > it should not be more than a few dozen lines of code.

                                      Indeed an archive-only filter is fairly short. In my case it MIME
                                      encapsulates the archive copy with the original message as an
                                      attachment and the envelope as the body. This is easy since a message
                                      attachment is just:

                                      |        Outer-Headers:
                                      |
                                      |        --mumble
                                      |
                                      |        Message envelope here
                                      |
                                      |        --mumble

                                              Original Message body here.

                                              .

                                      Thus all that is required is to send the lines marked with a leading
                                      "|" just before and just after the unmodified message. The envelope
                                      is naturally also different for the archive stream, the recipient
                                      is the archive destination and the sender is either empty or a
                                      special mailbox for processing archive bounces (that should never
                                      happen) since I always ensure archive deliveries soft-bounce.

                                    • Jumping Mouse
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 18, 2013
                                        Hello everyone,

                                        I have set up always_bcc = journal@...  for an email archiving account.

                                        How can bypass always_bcc for certain senders?   for example I do not want to always_bcc  any email that comes from

                                        audit1@...  and or  audit2@...

                                        Thanks in advance for any help.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 18, 2013
                                          Jumping Mouse:
                                          > Hello everyone,
                                          >
                                          > I have set up always_bcc = journal@... for an email
                                          > archiving account. How can bypass always_bcc for certain senders?

                                          It's called *always*_bcc for a reason...

                                          > for example I do not want to always_bcc any email that comes from
                                          > audit1@... and or audit2@...

                                          If you don't want to bcc ALL senders, use sender_bcc_maps to make
                                          exceptions, Postfix regular expression tables have VERY rudimentary
                                          if/else/endif support.

                                          /etc/postfix/main.cf:
                                          sender_bcc_maps = pcre:/etc/postfix/sender_bcc

                                          /etc/postfix/sender_bcc:
                                          if !/^audit1@mydomain\.com$/
                                          if !/^audit2@mydomain\.com$/
                                          /./ journal@...
                                          endif
                                          endif

                                          (I warned you that it is VERY rudimentary. There is no "DUNNO"
                                          special result value that forces a lookup failure).

                                          Note: do not put spaces at the beginning of the lines.

                                          Pointers:
                                          man pcre_table

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 18, 2013
                                            On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 02:42:23PM -0400, Jumping Mouse wrote:

                                            > I have set up always_bcc = journal@... for an email
                                            > archiving account.
                                            > How can bypass always_bcc for certain senders?
                                            >
                                            > For example I do not want to always_bcc any email that comes from
                                            > audit1@... and or audit2@...

                                            Now all your users know that to avoid archiving they should just
                                            send email from those addresses. (With NOTIFY=NEVER so as not to
                                            be caught out by bounces if possible). :-)

                                            More seriously, don't exempt senders, exempt messaging flows between
                                            specific servers that carry traffic that is not subject to archiving.

                                          • Jumping Mouse
                                            Message 21 of 24 , Mar 19, 2013
                                              Thank you for the reply!

                                              > Jumping Mouse:
                                              > > Hello everyone,
                                              > >
                                              > > I have set up always_bcc = journal@... for an email
                                              > > archiving account. How can bypass always_bcc for certain senders?
                                              >
                                              > It's called *always*_bcc for a reason...

                                              Yes that makes sense :-)

                                              OK so do still keep the  always_bcc = journal@...  in  /etc/postfix/main.cf   right?  Does placement make a difference?

                                              > /etc/postfix/sender_bcc:
                                              > if !/^audit1@mydomain\.com$/
                                              > if !/^audit2@mydomain\.com$/
                                              > /./ journal@...
                                              > endif
                                              > endif
                                              >
                                              > (I warned you that it is VERY rudimentary. There is no "DUNNO"
                                              > special result value that forces a lookup failure).
                                              >
                                              > Note: do not put spaces at the beginning of the lines.
                                              >
                                              > Pointers:
                                              > man pcre_table
                                              >
                                              > Wietse
                                            • Jumping Mouse
                                              Message 22 of 24 , Mar 19, 2013
                                                Thanks Victor

                                                > Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 19:43:06 +0000
                                                > From: postfix-users@...
                                                > To: postfix-users@...
                                                > Subject: Re: always_bcc
                                                >
                                                > On Mon, Mar 18, 2013 at 02:42:23PM -0400, Jumping Mouse wrote:
                                                >
                                                > > I have set up always_bcc = journal@... for an email
                                                > > archiving account.
                                                > > How can bypass always_bcc for certain senders?
                                                > >
                                                > > For example I do not want to always_bcc any email that comes from
                                                > > audit1@... and or audit2@...
                                                >
                                                > Now all your users know that to avoid archiving they should just
                                                > send email from those addresses. (With NOTIFY=NEVER so as not to
                                                > be caught out by bounces if possible). :-)
                                                >
                                                > More seriously, don't exempt senders, exempt messaging flows between
                                                > specific servers that carry traffic that is not subject to archiving.

                                                The traffic comes from the same server as the other emails come from,  so I think that will not work.

                                                > --
                                                > Viktor.
                                              • Jumping Mouse
                                                Message 23 of 24 , Mar 21, 2013
                                                  Wietse,

                                                  What do you mean by:   "(I warned you that it is VERY rudimentary. There is no "DUNNO"
                                                  special result value that forces a lookup failure)."
                                                  What does this look like in a real world scenario?  What are the potential drawbacks?
                                                  Message 24 of 24 , Mar 21, 2013
                                                    Jumping Mouse:
                                                    > Wietse,
                                                    > What do you mean by: "(I warned you that it is VERY rudimentary.
                                                    > There is no "DUNNO"special result value that forces a lookup
                                                    > failure)." What does this look like in a real world scenario?
                                                    > What are the potential drawbacks?

                                                    I described a solution with configuration file examples. It does
                                                    what it does: exclude two sender addresses with a nested if/endif
                                                    construct.

                                                    In an ideal world, this solution would be nicer. You would specify
                                                    three rules: one rule for each excluded sender address, and one
                                                    wild-card rule for everyone else. But the word is not ideal, and
                                                    therefore I will not decribe the nicer solution in detail.